San Francisco, CA /
About the role:
The Controller will be the accounting backbone of the company, working closely with all team members and leadership to drive decision making. As the first Finance team hire, you will be responsible for hands-on running, designing and implementing all accounting operations and will be developing core processes and systems critical to the success of the company.
Success in this position requires the ability to operate in a fast-paced startup environment, leveraging outstanding communication skills, self-motivation, sound judgment, and the ability to partner with employees across all functions and levels of the business. Demonstrated passion for building companies and a willingness to tackle any problem, big or small, are critical to Anyscale’s success and growth.
As part of this role, you will
- Own and lead our accounting operations function, including payroll, accounts payable, and expense reports with an integrated vision to enable our processes to scale and mature
- Manage billing operations and revenue to ensure our systems bill our customers accurately, our customers pay timely, and revenue is recognized in accordance with ASC 606
- Ensure compliance with employment laws and regulations, i.e., monitoring state and local registrations for payroll taxes, local health and unemployment insurance
- Implement NetSuite, P2P, and other accounting applications
- Implement end to end order-to-cash processes
- Review contract language and embed yourself in sales process
- Do headcount planning and build model for sales hiring
- Assess current accounting operations, make improvements and implement new processes
- Oversee regulatory reporting, including tax planning and compliance
- Assist in developing banking relationships for current and future debt financing needs
- Administer and develop cash investment strategy
- Manage the opening, compliance and reporting for any subsidiaries in other countries
- Bring outsourced accounting functions in-house
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- 5+ years of professional experience
- Experience working in startups or high-growth environments
- Extreme attention to detail
- Big 4 or equivalent experience
- CPA and/or equivalent
- Strong ERP systems experience
- Experience with consumption SaaS business models, metrics and KPIs
- Knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and reporting requirements
Anyscale provides an application development platform for developers to build distributed applications. We’re commercializing a popular open source project called Ray, which is a framework for distributed computing as well as an ecosystem of libraries for scalable machine learning. Our goal is to build a standardized platform for distributed computing. Ray was developed at UC Berkeley by Robert Nishihara and Philipp Moritz, under the guidance of Ion Stoica and Michael Jordan, and the four of them have co-founded Anyscale. The company raised a $20.6M Series A and a $40M Series B funding from Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), NEA, Foundation Capital, Intel Capital, Ant Financial, Amplify Partners, 11.2 Capital, and The House Fund.
With Ray, we're making it easy to program at any scale (from your laptop to the datacenter) by providing easy-to-use, general-purpose, and high-performance tools. In addition, we are building a rich ecosystem of libraries (for reinforcement learning, hyperparameter search, experiment management, machine learning training, prediction serving, and more) on top of the core distributed system so that users can rapidly build sophisticated applications. Help us build the future of software development.
Anyscale Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are evaluated without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.