Research Engineer (Endpoints)
San Francisco, CA
Engineering – Artificial Intelligence /
At Anyscale, we're on a mission to democratize distributed computing and make it accessible to software developers of all skill levels. We’re commercializing Ray, a popular open-source project that's creating an ecosystem of libraries for scalable machine learning. Companies like OpenAI, Uber, Spotify, Instacart, Cruise, and many more, have Ray in their tech stacks to accelerate the progress of AI applications out into the real world.
With Anyscale, we’re building the best place to run Ray, so that any developer or data scientist can scale an ML application from their laptop to the cluster without needing to be a distributed systems expert.
Proud to be backed by Andreessen Horowitz, NEA, and Addition with $250+ million raised to date.
Anyscale is based in San Francisco, CA. Employees are required to come in office 3x a week.
About the role:
We are looking for people who want to enable developers in the upcoming Generative AI/LLM revolution. We’re hiring exceptional Software Engineers and Research Engineers (or hybrids of the two) to help us build out Anyscale’s LLM offering, building on our work on high-performance LLM inference
We're looking for passionate, motivated people who are excited to build advanced LLM applications as well as the platform and infrastructure to enable them.
We are particularly looking for Senior or staff and above candidates who can help and execute on a vision for the future of generative AI. We are open to both Individual Contributors and people who are primarily technical but have prior experience managing a small team.
As part of this role, you will
- Build extensions to existing open source LLMs such as adding support for function templates.
- Push the boundaries of existing LLM applications (e.g. building cutting edge question answering applications)
- Develop features to enable production deployment of LLMs (e.g. what does CI for LLMs look like? How do you do evals of LLMs)
- Work on systematically improving the quality of LLM Application
- Jointly define your own projects as the ecosystem evolves.
- Work closely with the first 50 users of the things you build.
- Help us build a world class company.
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- 3+ years of experience working as an an applied scientist, research engineer or software engineer focused on LLMs.
- You enjoy coding for 50% or more of your time.
- Solid fundamentals in algorithms, data structures, system design
- Domain expertise in LLMs and generative AI.
- Experience working with systems engineering aspects of LLMs (e.g. distributed training, autoscaling inference etc)
- Experience with approaches to LLM model improvement and fine tuning (such as LoRA and RLHF)
- Published research in the Gen AI space
- Experience using Ray
- At Anyscale, we take a market-based approach to compensation. We are data-driven, transparent, and consistent. The target salary for this role is $170,112 ~ $237,000. As the market data changes over time, the target salary for this role may be adjusted.
- This role is also eligible to participate in Anyscale's Equity and Benefits offerings, including the following:Stock Options
- Healthcare plans, with premiums covered by Anyscale at 99%
- 401k Retirement Plan
- Wellness stipend
- Education stipend
- Paid Parental Leave
- Flexible Time Off
- Commute reimbursement
- 100% of in office meals covered
Anyscale Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are evaluated without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.