Manager/Tech Lead Manager (Cloud Platform Dataplane)
San Francisco, CA /
About the role:
Anyscale is looking for a strong Manager/Tech Lead Manager to lead the Cloud Platform Dataplane team. Anyscale aims to provide the next generation of tools and infrastructure to make developing and running distributed AI applications in the cloud as easy as on your laptop. At the Cloud Platform Dataplane team, we build the scalable, secure, and robust backbone to realize this vision.
In this position, you will guide the vision, recruit, and enable a high-performing engineering team that delivers critical values to developers and Anyscale customers by solving complex distributed systems challenges. You will oversee and drive the strategy for building Anyscale’s infinite laptop experience in open source Ray and the proprietary product. This includes cluster launcher, cloud providers (AWS/GCP/Azure/etc.), Kubernetes support, cluster autoscaling, laptop <-> cluster seamless interaction and integration. You will be able to work on the open-source Ray, our major infinite laptop proprietary product, and the integration and interaction between the two as well as critical customer features.
As part of your role, you will:
- Drive the strategy of the serverless infrastructure in open-source Ray and the proprietary product
- Oversee the design and development of Anyscale's high-performance serverless infrastructure end to end
- Oversee the design and develop Anyscale’s infinite laptop experience
- Work with a team of leading distributed systems and machine learning experts
- Lead team to deliver key software features as well as enhance the quality of the existing codebase
- Meet open source partners and Anyscale customers, representing engineering at these strategic discussions
- Collaborate closely with the product design and product management teams to iterate and refine product requirements
- Work closely with other teams at the company, including cloud and open source engineering, marketing, sales, etc
- Execute with urgency in a high-impact environment
- Recruit new employees and coach/mentor engineers
- Design and implement scalable engineering processes
- Focus on building and maintaining a culture of collaboration within the team
- Communicate your work to a broader audience through talks, tutorials, and blog posts
- Help us to build and shape a world-class company
We'd love to hear from you if you have
- Solid engineering management experience leading productive, high-performing teams
- Record of helping teams scale quickly while maintaining a good culture
- Ability to ensure a high hiring bar, motivate team, coach/mentor, and handle performance management issues.
- Deep technical knowledge and experience in distributed systems or machine learning is a plus
- A great track record of execution
- A sense of urgency, a mindset towards achieving results, and excellent prioritization skills
- Effective communication
Anyscale provides an application development platform for developers to build distributed applications. We’re commercializing a popular open source project called Ray, which is a framework for distributed computing as well as an ecosystem of libraries for scalable machine learning. Our goal is to build a standardized platform for distributed computing. Ray was developed at UC Berkeley by Robert Nishihara and Philipp Moritz, under the guidance of Ion Stoica and Michael Jordan, and the four of them have co-founded Anyscale. The company raised a $20.6M Series A and a $40M Series B funding from Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), NEA, Foundation Capital, Intel Capital, Ant Financial, Amplify Partners, 11.2 Capital, and The House Fund.
With Ray, we're making it easy to program at any scale (from your laptop to the datacenter) by providing easy-to-use, general-purpose, and high-performance tools. In addition, we are building a rich ecosystem of libraries (for reinforcement learning, hyperparameter search, experiment management, machine learning training, prediction serving, and more) on top of the core distributed system so that users can rapidly build sophisticated applications. Help us build the future of software development.
Anyscale Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are evaluated without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.