Engineering Manager (Open Source Ray)
San Francisco, CA /
About the role:
Anyscale is looking for a strong Engineering Manager to lead part of the open source Ray team! Started as a research project at UC Berkeley RISELab, Ray aims to become the next generation compute framework for distributed applications (including ML, data, and services). The project is getting strong adoptions in the OSS community (Uber, Amazon, Ant Group, Shopify), and via the Anyscale product.
In this position, you will guide the vision, recruit, and enable a high performing engineering team that delivers critical values to developers and Anyscale customers by solving complex distributed systems challenges. The Ray team is responsible for building both the best core framework for generic applications, and a suite of cutting-edge libraries for data processing, ML, and online services. With the very fast growth of the entire Ray team, we have multiple possibilities for the team setup (depending on the candidate’s experience and interest).
As part of this role, you will:
- Manage part of the open source Ray team (depending on experience and interest)
- Lead team to deliver key software features as well as enhance the quality of existing codebase
- Meet open source partners and Anyscale customers, representing engineering at these strategic discussions
- Collaborate closely with the product design and product management teams to iterate and refine product requirements
- Work closely with other teams at the company, including product engineering, marketing, etc.
- Execute with urgency in a high impact environment
- Recruit new employees and coach / mentor engineers
- Design and implement scalable engineering processes
- Focus on building and maintaining a culture of collaboration within the team
We'd love to hear from you if you have:
- Solid engineering management experience leading productive, high performing teams
- Record of helping teams scale quickly while maintaining good culture
- Ability to ensure a high hiring bar, motivate team, coach/mentor and handle performance management issues
- Deep technical knowledge, and experience in distributed systems or machine learning is a plus
- A great track record of execution
- A sense of urgency, a mindset towards achieving results, and excellent prioritization skills
- Effective communication
Anyscale provides an application development platform for developers to build distributed applications. We’re commercializing a popular open source project called Ray, which is a framework for distributed computing as well as an ecosystem of libraries for scalable machine learning. Our goal is to build a standardized platform for distributed computing. Ray was developed at UC Berkeley by Robert Nishihara and Philipp Moritz, under the guidance of Ion Stoica and Michael Jordan, and the four of them have co-founded Anyscale. The company raised a $20.6M Series A and a $40M Series B funding from Andreessen Horowitz (a16z), NEA, Foundation Capital, Intel Capital, Ant Financial, Amplify Partners, 11.2 Capital, and The House Fund.
With Ray, we're making it easy to program at any scale (from your laptop to the datacenter) by providing easy-to-use, general-purpose, and high-performance tools. In addition, we are building a rich ecosystem of libraries (for reinforcement learning, hyperparameter search, experiment management, machine learning training, prediction serving, and more) on top of the core distributed system so that users can rapidly build sophisticated applications. Help us build the future of software development.
Anyscale Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Candidates are evaluated without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, disability, national origin, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal or state law.