Software Engineer, Path Forward
San Francisco, California
The Path Forward Return to Work program at Apartment List is a 16- week paid returnship for experienced professionals returning to the workforce after taking time off for caregiving. The program is open to anyone who has at least 5 years of professional experience who has been out of the paid workforce for at least two years to focus on caring for a child or other dependent. If you meet these criteria, we welcome you to apply. At Apartment List, we are excited to be part of the Path Forward program because we appreciate the skills you can offer, the perspective you provide, and the contributions you will make. This program offers you a chance to revamp your skills, update your resume with new experience, and make connections with other professionals transitioning back to the workforce. It also offers support through Path Forward, a nonprofit organization on a mission to empower people who’ve been focused on the transition of caregivers back to the paid workforce.
Who You Are
- You’ve been away from corporate life for 2+ years as a caregiver and are eager to jump back into the thick of things.
- You have a strong understanding of computer science fundamentals. That usually comes with a CS degree, but we don’t care whether you have one.
- You are a mature and well-rounded software engineer. You design-for-test, minimize shared mutable state, and seek simplicity.
- You understand databases, REST, MVC, concurrency, scalability, and queues.
What You'll Do
- Build the high-performance backend services, website, and mobile apps that power our product.
- Work in a small team of dedicated and excitable software engineers.
- Explore new ideas and technologies to enhance our users' lives and our own development experience.
- Interact closely with your teammates in product management and design. You’ll have a say! No code monkeys here.
- Collaborate closely with the larger engineering team. We expect you to be great, and we expect you to make us all better.
- Bring delight and simplicity to millions by solving a critical problem in their lives.
On the surface, building a great renter experience might not sound hard, but it is. Think about all the things that have to be right: gathering detailed data from millions of apartments of all types; matching those apartments with the millions of renters searching; and communicating with landlords when those renters decide they’ve found their perfect next home.
Getting this right is more important now than ever before. Today there are 100 million renters in the US, more than there have ever been and growing.
Our mission is simple, we want renters to be able to find a great home and we want that process to be simple and delightful. In one word, we want their experience and apartment search to be extraordinary.
The extraordinary experience we are building is loved by renters and landlords. In fact, four million Renters used Apartment List last month, 75% of them on mobile. Each month more and more renters are signing their lease thanks to Apartment List.
We recently just raised $50M in our series C to accelerate our growth - think you’re up to the challenge? Check out the team and learn more about us. If you’re game, apply now.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
A Message From Our Leadership
“We strongly believe that diverse teams achieve the best results and the variations in the different paths people have traveled in their lives is an important dimension of diversity. Participating in the Path Forward program gives Apartment List the opportunity to find team members with both strong work and life experiences. As a society, we need to get the best from all the talent we have. Programs like Path Forward allow everyone to have access to new opportunities that wouldn't otherwise be available. We are proud to be a part of it.”