Director, Data Science
San Francisco, California
From sales to product to growth, data is core to decision making in all parts of our organization (seriously, most employees are versed in leveraging data in their day to day). As Director of Data Science, you will develop and scale the path forward to support our growing product and business. Your role is to drive strategic initiatives and grow a world class data science and product analytics practice. You'll lead a talented analytics team and be tasked with building out our data science and machine learning capabilities. You will partner with engineering, product, & growth to drive high impact projects that help more renters find home.
In this role you will be expected to identify and spearhead new opportunities, communicate and collaborate effectively with a variety of teams, and have the technical skills to deliver sophisticated insights and strategy while building your own team of data leaders.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Contribute at the leadership level and influence company and product strategy and decision making
- Hire, coach, and lead a team of data scientists and product analysts that support and drive insights into all parts of the product development process
- Be a technical leader and mentor for the analytics and data science team; instituting best practices across core measurement, experimentation, visualization and insights delivery
- Drive machine learning projects with engineering and product
- Partner with our Data Platform engineering team to build out data infrastructure necessary to facilitate efficient analysis across the entire company
- Work in and expand our data tech stack, built primarily around Redshift
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- Advanced degree (ideally Phd) in engineering, economics, statistics or a related field
- 10+ years of experience in data science
- 5+ years experience successfully managing teams
- Fluent in data fundamentals: SQL, data manipulation using a procedural language, statistics, experimentation, and modeling
- Advanced working knowledge with leading machine learning tools and technology
- Demonstrated success in building and supporting cross-functional teams to deploy machine learning models in a dynamic environment
- Expert experience with a wide range of quantitative methods that can be applied to business problems.
And here is what’s in it for you:
- An incredible opportunity to build out and lead a critical function with access to a truly unique data set
- An exceptional team: our hiring bar is high and your colleagues are talented, motivated, self-starters
- A great office environment in the heart of SOMA: surrounded by restaurants and coffee shops, located just three blocks from the ballpark
- A chance to impact our users’ biggest decision - where they call home