Sr. Software Engineer, Platforms
San Francisco, California
As a member of the Platforms Team, you'll be working with other engineering, analytics, and product teams to create an extraordinary development experience at Apartment List. Platforms team members focus on facilitating changes to our core data models and services that support other engineering teams, but also continually consider long-term implications of those changes. This requires strategic thinking about our architecture and technology choices, and how to smoothly evolve and transition as we grow. At its heart, the Platforms team is responsible for the infrastructure and services that every other team at Apartment List relies on every day to be successful.
Here’s what you’ll do as part of the team:
- Build the high performance backend services that power the Apartment List website and mobile apps
- Interact closely with your teammates in product management, web and mobile engineering teams
- Use the right tool for the job. Our backend is powered by Ruby, PostgreSQL, Elasticsearch, Kinesis, Go and AMQP, and we are always open to new ideas
- Collaborate closely with the larger engineering team. We expect you to be great, and we expect you to make us all better
- Bring delight and simplicity to millions by solving a critical problem in their lives
- Research, prototype, and implement solutions to various technology problems
Here are the skills and experience you’ll need to be successful:
- BA/BS in Computer Science, Information Security, Information Systems, Engineering or related, or equivalent work experience required
- 4+ years experience building web application backends
- You have a penchant for RESTful backend services in object‐oriented or functional programming languages.
- Solid understanding of databases, indices, queues, processes, servers, instances, memory, garbage collection, threading, and concurrency
- You have a strong understanding of computer science fundamentals
- Motivated to participate in ongoing learning and growth through pair programming, code reviews, application of new technologies and best practices
- We are a full stack team, so experience with front end technology like React, Angular, Backbone is a huge plus
And here is what’s in it for you:
- Mentorship and training to get you onboard quickly and to learn new development skills.
- Encouraged to explore new technologies and to adopt them in our product development.
- Empowered to participate the whole development cycle, and drive important product decisions.
Apartment List is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome and encourage diversity in the workplace regardless of race, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or veteran status.