Senior Software Engineer—Apex.OS
Palo Alto, California, United States /
Engineering – Apex.OS /
Apex.AI is seeking a skilled Senior Software Engineer to join our Apex.OS team. Apex.OS is our end-to-end software framework for use in automotive, smart machines, and IoT. Our goal is to build a modern software development environment that developers love to use for these industries where safety and reliability are key. Here you will work on challenging problems like how to build a system that will behave identically in simulation as it did in the real world, or how to build software that meets rigorous functional safety requirements while remaining flexible. As a core team member, you will design and build this next generation technology that will be running in vehicles and machines used every day around the world.
This role can be located in our Palo Alto office or can be remote within the United States. Authorization to work in the United States is required.
What You’ll Do—Responsibilities
- Design and formulate requirements for Apex.OS and implement new features based on input from customer and company needs
- Collaborate with other teams to implement features across domains
- Participate in code and design reviews
- Answer technical questions for the Application Engineering team, and when needed, engage in troubleshooting escalated customer issues
- Solid software design skills and experience with C++14 (or newer)
- Familiarity with real-time software concepts (e.g. scheduling, memory management)
- Experience working on embedded software
- Willingness to make design decisions with imperfect information
- Ability to work independently with limited supervision
- Desire to work collaboratively, rather than competitively
- Interest in solving problems for software that will be running in products people use every day
Great to Have
- ROS 2 experience
- DDS experience
Apex.AI is a Palo Alto, Berlin, Stuttgart, and Munich-based company that is developing breakthrough safe, certified, developer-friendly, and scalable software for mobility systems.
Our software products are based on proven open-source software, such as ROS or Eclipse iceoryx, so that we don’t spend time redeveloping what already works. Instead, we fork software that has been developed and proven in use by large developer communities. We then add what is missing: Functional safety, flawless performance, and support for application in commercial and safety-critical products. In order to do so, we have developed a proprietary process to rework open-source software in record time such that it conforms to the highest requirements of the applicable functional safety standard.
Distinguished by our experienced and agile team, we bring in the right pedigree: Expertise in modern software engineering to build software that scales to massive systems, leading know-how in software functional safety to make software reliable, experience bringing software to market so that we know what to takes to build actual products, and twenty-plus years of experience building autonomous systems so that we can take the perspective of our customers and know their needs.
We launched our award-winning first product Apex.OS after three years in 2020 and have taken it through certification in record time for launch in 2021. We have more in the pipeline to revolutionize the use of software in the automotive industry.