Software Engineering Manager (Remote)
India (Remote) /
Apollo.io's mission is to help every business to fulfill their full market potential by connecting companies with amazing solutions with those who need them most. We've built a database of 250 million business contacts and 10 million companies, and our software helps sales and marketing identify and convert their most likely potential customers. We've raised over $10 million from Silicon Valley investors such as Y Combinator, Nexus Venture Partners, SV Angel, and Social Capital, and are profitable and continuously growing. We're headquartered in San Francisco, CA with a brilliant worldwide remote team.
Apollo is the foundation of your entire go-to-market strategy.
Your Role & Mission
As a Software Engineering Manager, you will have the critical leadership role of enabling excellence, productivity, and growth within Apollo's engineering organization. You crave the opportunity for hands-on mentorship, and to accelerate not only your career, but for those of your team as well. Your responsibility would come in several forms, including but not limited to:
- helping the team define, set, and adhere to goals and expectations
- driving a culture around excellence, learning, and fun
- critically observing and improving development and management processes within Apollo engineering
- work closely with key stakeholders such as the CTO, Product Managers, and Designers to deliver high quality software at a rapid pace for an ever-increasing user base
- Change, and be a part of key decision-making processes within the engineering organization
- You are self-motivated and passionate about pursuing excellence, and enjoy tackling problems that block you from reaching your goals
- You are compassionate and put people first as a mentor, and are tactful with both accepting and delivering criticism to others
- You have the ability to set, align, and drive improvements within the team
Daily Adventures and Responsibilities:
- Participation in key technical decision-making discussions such as sprint planning, software design, and occasionally code reviews
- Help build and scale a world-class engineering team by sourcing and hiring candidates
- Hold systematic weekly 1:1 touch points with engineers to deliver and receive quality feedback
- Work with engineers to develop and execute on personalized goals
- Conduct objective and helpful quarterly performance reviews for engineers
Skills and Relevant Experiences
- BS or MS degree from a university in a technical discipline (e.g. CS, Math, Engineering)
- 3+ years of hands-on software engineering industry experience
- 1-2 years' experience of technical leadership over a small team; should have fundamentals in software architecture at scale, effective engineering processes, and cross-team function.
- Familiarity at least BE / FE or FS engineering (databases, DevOps)
Our Tech Stack
Our tech stack is React/Redux/NextJS on the front end, Ruby/Python/MongoDB/Elasticsearch/Redis on the backend, and Kubernetes/Docker/Terraform for infrastructure.
Within the first 1st month:
- Familiarize and integrate yourself within Apollo's engineering strategy, culture, and business use case
- Shadow existing rhythms to learn and understand existing processes
Within the first 3 months:
- Begin taking ownership over rhythms and laying the groundwork for professional relationships with a team of engineering direct reports: strengths, weaknesses, career ambitions
- Perform the first round of performance reviews for the team
- Set quarterly OKRs for the team
- Begin involvement in the hiring of top remote candidates for Engineering - Sr. Fullstack Engineer, Sr. Backend Engineer, Sr. DevOps Engineer, and even cross functional reqs such as Product Managers
- Accurately and regularly reporting on certain key metrics
Within the 4-6th months
- Complete ownership over engineering management duties: proficiency with collecting and delivering effective feedback, and driving a strong culture of ownership, excellence, and growth
- Make and execute on process improvement suggestions for the team
- Be a source of technical leadership, especially for complex, sensitive, and large-scale projects
This is a remote position available from anywhere in the world. Please apply ONLY if you meet the minimum requirements.
What You'll Love about Apollo:
As we are scaling our company, we are committed to providing the best possible environment for our engineering team. The less time our engineers spend dealing with cumbersome processes, inefficient systems, and commuting, the more time they have to solve problems and make an impact. We're a technology-first team dedicated to building the greatest engagement software available. We keep in touch with Slack and regular video conferences. You can work from home, a coffee shop or the beach as long as your work is aligned with your goals.
If this sounds interesting, we would love to hear from you! Please include whatever info you believe is relevant: resume, GitHub profile, code samples, links to personal projects, etc.