Director of Developer Relations
Developer Relations /
Helping developers succeed is at the heart of what we do at Apollo. With 3M weekly downloads of our open-source library Apollo Client and 40,000 Apollo community members, developers trust Apollo to power the world’s most important applications. Our next Developer Relations (DevRel) leader will build upon our strong foundation by helping millions of developers experience the joy and productivity benefits of running a graph. If you value empathy and have experience leading DevRel programs at scale, we’d love to talk to you!
You’ll join the Developer Experience org: a group of engineers, storytellers, community builders, educators, and filmmakers who are united in our quest to inspire and equip developers to succeed with Apollo. We build our learning platform Odyssey, reach 10,000 developers at our yearly GraphQL Summit, and meet developers wherever they are on GitHub, Twitter, YouTube, and our forums. You’ll report to Peggy Rayzis (Director of Developer Experience) and manage a team of 4 talented developer advocates that will expand in 2022.
What you'll do
- Run DevRel programs at scale: You’ll help us reach millions of developers by scaling our content and community programs. For new programs, you’ll develop a plan, seek alignment, and measure results. Your work will be highly visible and instrumental in helping Apollo achieve company objectives.
- Build cross-functional partnerships: DevRel is the glue between the Apollo community and the company. You’re excited to partner with Marketing, Engineering, Product, and Customer Success to help them understand our developers and execute programs together.
- Nurture and grow the DevRel team: You attract talented developer advocates (including people from underrepresented groups) to your team. You’re skilled at onboarding, coaching, and building a healthy distributed team culture.
- You can lead a DevRel program from idea to execution and measure its results. You iterate on your programs after receiving feedback from developers and cross-functional partners. You motivate your teams to deliver content and code with high velocity, quality, and reliability on a predictable schedule.
- You’re an experienced manager who has built high-performing DevRel teams. You enjoy spending the majority of your time developing your team rather than doing individual contributor work. You constantly seek to improve your management skills, such as running effective meetings, 1:1s, and championing distributed culture.
- You write and speak with clarity. You’re skilled at coaching your team on content creation. From blog posts to emails to tweets, you feel comfortable influencing what developer content looks like across the company.
- Developers trust your work. You deeply understand what resonates with developers. You have examples of successful developer programs that you’ve built. Although GraphQL experience isn’t a requirement, it’s important that we trust you to authentically represent Apollo in front of our developer community.
The Developer Experience org is distributed across the Americas and Europe. This position can be done from anywhere in time zones ranging from UTC-8 to UTC+2.
Apollo is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a talented and diverse workforce.