Principal Software Engineering Instructor
Education – Instruction /
App Academy is building world-class training programs that help students from all backgrounds transition into careers in software development. In March 2021, App Academy was named one of America's 500 Best Startup Employers by Forbes. We have been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Bloomberg as a driving force behind the changing face of tech education in America. Our unique model — we defer tuition until our students graduate and secure jobs afterwards — aligns us with the success of our students.
About the Role
At App Academy, Principal Technical Mentors are experienced software engineers and educators that guide a cohort through the entirety of the App Academy curriculum - all 24 weeks of it. As such, it is vital that they are invested in their students’ learning and have the technical knowledge to supplement the curriculum materials.
In this role, you would take primary responsibility for guiding students on their path to becoming software engineers. In order to do so, you would monitor student performance daily and coach struggling students in order to best support them. You would also augment existing lectures and technical curriculum materials based on the specific needs of your students. In that vein, you would lead a daily materials review in order to identify and solidify student understanding of the core learning objectives.
As an experienced software engineer, you would also collaborate with the App Academy Engineering and Curriculum teams in order to improve internal tools and content delivery.
-Functional Technical Knowledge
-Dealing with Ambiguity
This is a 100% remote position that reports to the Online Program Manager.
- Take responsibility for a single cohort as it navigates through all 24 weeks of the Full Time Online Software Engineering Track, supporting student learning both as a content expert and as an educator
- Use App Academy’s internal tools to monitor students’ progress and identify ways to support their learning on an individual level
- Engage with struggling students in order to coach them through challenges and help them succeed in the course
- Augment technical lectures and projects time with supplementary materials and contextual explanations based on specific student needs
- Lead a daily lesson that reviews the day’s core learning objectives while addressing any student questions or misunderstandings
- Contribute to and maintain resources for all Instruction staff that can be used to monitor and support student learning
- Maintain resources and tools for all instructors and PTMs to be used to monitor and augment student learning
- Collaborate with the App Academy Engineering team in order to improve internal tools
- Collaborate with the App Academy Curriculum team in order to iterate and improve upon curriculum content and delivery
Experience & Qualifications
- 3-5 years of experience as a Software Engineer specializing in at least three of the core technologies taught at App Academy
- 1+ year of experience as an educator or people manager
- Mastery of at least one of the following languages and associated frameworks: Ruby with Ruby on Rails; Node with Express.js and Sequelize; Python with Flask and SQLAlchemy; Java with Spring and JPA; C# with ASP.NET MVCand EF
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrable capacity to handle interpersonal relationships with empathy
Nice to Haves
- Functional knowledge of macOS, Windows, and Ubuntu Linux
- Demonstrable knowledge of DevOps tools such as Docker, Kubernetes, or Terraform
- Demonstrable knowledge of using microservice-based architecture
- Take responsibility for student success -- Everyone works together to enable student success.
- Follow the numbers -- Decisions should be backed by data.
- Embrace a growth mindset -- View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve.
- Start with why -- See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it.
- Create an inclusive environment -- We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff.
- Build with urgency -- Our products positively change lives.
- Competitive salary
- Flexible paid time off
- Employer-sponsored health insurance plans with 100% support for premiums
- 401K company match
- The opportunity to work with driven and talented colleagues committed to lifelong learning
App Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We believe strongly that technology companies benefit from diversity and encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.