Lead Instructor (Part-Time)
San Francisco, California
Education – Instruction
App Academy is building world-class training programs that help people from all backgrounds and experience levels, succeed in tech. We have been profiled in The Wall Street Journal, Washington Post, and Bloomberg as a driving force behind the changing face of tech education in America. Our unique model — we defer tuition until our students graduate and secure jobs afterwards — aligns us with the success of our students. Alongside our top-ranked in-person training programs, App Academy is building the largest online learning community for software engineers through its Open platform. Join us on our mission to empower people to transform their lives through code.
About the Role
This is a part-time role based in SF and not remote-friendly.
The Instructional Team at App Academy is responsible for delivering all technical content training to our students who are enrolled in the full time, in-person web development program. The team consists of: 1) Teaching Assistants (TAs) who are top-performing App Academy graduates who choose to work at App Academy following graduation in order to transform student lives. TAs are responsible for answering student questions, providing feedback on projects, and lecturing. They act as the immediate support team for the Lead Instructors an; 2) Instructional Program Manager who utilizes their training in teaching and management to train and manage the instructional staff (primarily the TAs) so as to improve instructional methodologies in the classrooms and ultimately enhance student outcomes; 3) Lead Instructors who are experienced engineers and who take primary responsibility for crafting and delivering lectures within the classroom.
This role reports directly to the Head of the Instructional Team (currently based in NYC) and will also have a dotted reporting line to the Director of Student Outcomes who oversees the entire student instructional experience from the technical instruction to the career placement curriculum. Note: this can be structured as a part-time contractor role, or as a full-time hire.
- Create comprehensive lecture plans for each lecture
- Deliver daily lectures to the students enrolled in the full time, in-person web development program
- Mentor the instructional team TAs and contribute towards their professional development
- Provide feedback to the curriculum team on changes or additions needed to the curriculum
Experience & Qualifications
- 3+ years of experience working as a software engineer and web developer
- Nice to haves - TDD and RESTful APIs Strong communication skills
- A passion for and interest in teaching
- Commitment to our mission to empower people to transform their lives by tying our success as a business to those of our students
- Take responsibility for student success: Everyone works together to enable student success
- Follow the numbers: Decisions should be backed by data
- Embrace a growth mindset: View challenges and failures as opportunities to improve
- Start with why: See the big picture and question the status quo. If there’s a better way of doing things we should investigate it
- Create an inclusive environment: We work together to promote empathy and respect amongst all students and staff
App Academy is committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We believe strongly that technology companies benefit from diversity and encourage applicants from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire.
Learn more about our students, staff, and community at our blog here: https://blog.appacademy.io/