Product Design Team Lead
Appcues is a platform that empowers thousands of SaaS companies to design beautiful in-app experiences that influence their user’s behavior -- without writing any code.
We’re looking for a Product Design Team Lead to join our Product org. We seek a hands-on team player with a meticulous eye for design, and a drive to create beautiful experiences for our customers.
The Design Team Lead position is a “player-coach” role that involves three direct reports, while also holding individual contributor responsibilities. We expect this amounts to approximately a 70/30 split for the player/coach aspect. This is a perfect role for someone ready to expand their career to include design team management.
About the role
- You will own all things product design at Appcues, including leading our team of three outstanding product designers. You will partner with others in product and engineering to deliver on our product vision.
- In addition to managing all design, you will also be the designer on a squad (squad = engineers + product manager + designer) focused on new product initiatives.
- You will influence the design of thousands of other products. Appcues has powered 3.6 billion user experiences across 1,500+ customers’ products.
- You’ll be responsible for helping level up the careers of our design team.
- You’ll be responsible for leveling up the overall quality of the Appcues design process to ensure that the work of our design team is making the right tradeoffs to ensure speed and quality.
- You’ll be responsible for ensuring that our user research and discovery processes are improving. You’ll lead the team in user testing & research on a regular basis as a foundation for making a great product.
- You have taste. You obsess over product experience and can usually pinpoint 5 things you’d change about a product within your first 30 mins of using it (including ours, we hope).
- You believe that the work isn’t done until users love it. You have a desire to improve everything you touch, and a portfolio that showcases doing so through great design taste and experience.
- You are curious and motivated by learning. You can give examples of how you’ve learned from customers and used shipping as an opportunity to improve your product. You shape your teams to think this way too. Everyone around you develops more market awareness.
- You have worked on B2B software product teams in the past and have a strong opinion on the designer’s role on the team.
- You have a track record of mentoring other designers, either those you’ve formally managed or just worked alongside.
$119,000 - $160,000 a year
Note - Appcues uses a market-data driven approach to setting compensation ranges, and pins compensation ranges to data provided by third-party organizations. This range is for all US-based candidates and is built to be competitive nationwide by utilizing ranges for the Greater Boston area, regardless of where in the US an employee lives (or later relocates). This range represents salary-based compensation and does not include our equity package (in stock options), 401k match, or other benefits including an office setup budget, tech budget, training and education budget, and co-working space reimbursements. Actual compensation offered to a successful applicant may be based on job-related experience and other factors consistent with applicable law. For non-US based candidates, Appcues adjusts salary ranges based on cost of labor in each market. If you have questions on the pay range in your country, the recruiter will be happy to discuss specifics during your introductory conversation."
Appcues' mission is to help teams deliver experiences their users love. Our vision is for every software company to embrace product-led growth, resulting in more engaged and happier users.
100% remote - We don’t have an office so all of our employees learn and collaborate in the same way using remote work practices. This won't change post-COVID as we are committed to being 100% remote for the long-term. We work in Slack, Zoom, and a collection of modern collaboration tools. We have inclusive remote events and we get together annually for a fun off-site retreat.
Well-being - You'll have solid health, dental, and vision plans; access to 401k, and a generous maternity and paternity leave.
Fair pay - Each role has a defined salary band, bands and salaries are audited on a regular basis to help maintain fairness and market value
Home office and tech budget - Besides paying for your work computer (Mac or PC), we offer a one-time $1000 home office stipend and an additional $500 annual budget for extra work-related technology.
Coworking space, on us - Home office not cutting it? We'll reimburse your monthly coworking fees.
Equity - We want everyone invested in our success. We grant every employee equity in the company.
Transparency and collaboration - We foster team alignment with meetings of all shapes and sizes—a monthly all-hands meeting called FirstThurs, weekly team lunches, and Lunch & Learns., and an annual learning stipend.
Flexible Time Off - We believe time away to reflect and explore makes us all more productive, so employees don’t accrue vacation time – they work with their managers to schedule time off when they need it, consistent with our Flexible Time Off policy. Employees based in the USA also take off all US federal holidays. Employees residing in other countries can choose to follow their local national holidays or US federal holidays.