Senior Software Engineer - Mapping and Localization
Los Angeles /
We are looking for a senior software engineer with expertise in mapping and localization for autonomous vehicles or mobile robots. Your contributions will focus on building a mapping and localization system for an off-road vehicle for autonomous and advanced driver-assistance use cases. You will also help our simulation and tooling team to build out key capabilities for experts who develop and deploy mapping and localization systems.
In addition to your engineering contributions, by working in our dynamic and customer-focused team culture, you will be a key contributor for a new business that builds on and informs best practices in the nascent autonomy industry. We move fast and we focus on excellence, for our products and for our business. If you are hands-on and looking for a place to have a multiplying effect on making autonomous systems a reality, Applied is the place for you!
At Applied, you will
- Design and implement a top-notch mapping and localization system capable of running on a variety of off-road vehicles, providing lifelong mapping and localization in dynamic environments
- Design and implement foundations and cutting-edge tools for users to lean heavily on mapping and localization data, for drivers inside the vehicle and for operators managing fleets and operations
We’re looking for someone who
- Is passionate about building a best in class mapping and localization system that is absolutely reliable for highly dynamic operations in demanding real-world environments
- Has three or more years of experience building software components or (sub) systems that address real-world mapping and localization challenges
- Has hands-on experience with more than one domain relevant software framework or tools, such as middlewares, benchmarking suites, data sets and related pipelines, or algorithmic libraries
- Has a deeper understanding of the concepts and methods behind any frameworks or libraries that they worked with
Nice to have
- MSc or PhD in mapping, localization, or closely related field
- Deep hands-on expertise in relevant algorithms or methods, such as non-linear optimization, computational geometry, numerical analysis, distributed systems
- Experience building and shipping software frameworks or tools that are used by others than the authors of the framework.
Autonomy is one of the leading technological advances of this century that will come to impact our lives. The work you’ll do in our Los Angeles office will meaningfully accelerate the adoption of autonomous systems in the defense world. You will have a unique perspective on the development of cutting edge technology while working with major players across the industry and the globe.