Software Engineer, Server
North America /
Machine Zone – Game Engineering /
Machine Zone (An AppLovin Company) is a global leader in mobile gaming, with a track record of delivering some of the world’s most successful mobile games including Game of War, Mobile Strike and Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire. We combine the power of technology and creative vision to create experiences that connect people from all corners of the globe. Machine Zone was acquired by AppLovin in May 2020.
AppLovin was named one of the Hottest Adtech Companies of 2021 by Business Insider, as well as a Certified Great Place to Work in 2021 and 2022. The San Francisco Business Times and Silicon Valley Business Journal awarded AppLovin one of the Bay Area’s Best Places to Work in 2019, 2020, and 2021. Our team members are regularly recognized for their work and leadership, including recent award wins in Business Insider’s Rising Stars of Adtech 2022, Glassdoor’s Top CEOs 2019, and the 2021 Women in Content Marketing Awards.
AppLovin’s MZ Game Studio seeks a software engineer to help build the server technology that underpins our next generation of games. As a member of the server engineering team, you will develop new technologies that allow us to richly support cloud-hosted, worldwide multiplayer games, building new services and improving what exists today. SQL and NoSQL, kubernetes and traditional metal, in-memory cache and even more in-memory cache: you will employ all of these to make great games happen. Server engineers at MZ work closely with other teams up and down the stack, from site reliability engineering and technical operations, to the game product developers who deliver the experience to the users.
What you'll be doing:
- Implement new server to client and server to server APIs and functionality into existing server components
- Describe and implement the communications across multiple network layers, considering performance, reliability, and flexibility with respect to the underlying infrastructure
- Enhance and expand the ORM layer of MZ’s in house backend application framework
- Craft software solutions for supporting flexibility in resource allocation, from compute to storage
- Serve as a major contributor for projects of year-long scope involving multiple developers and customers
- Consult with technical operations on appropriate Kubernetes-based infrastructure design
- Design for performance, and measure the effects
- Review your colleagues’ code, and learn from their reviews as well
- Identify, document, and communicate best practices for the engineers who use the fruits of your labor
Your background and who you are:
- 2+ years professional work experience
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or a related technical field
- Motivated to learn and grow your technical skills while making a significant impact on our games
- Must be proactive, self-directed, detailed and organized
- Proficient in PHP, C++, or Go
- Familiar with relational databases and SQL, preferably MySQL
- Experience with in-memory NoSQL databases, such as Redis
- Ability to debug issues within custom code quickly
- Passion for developing scalable and maintainable software systems
- An open-minded and technology-agnostic approach to engineering
- Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
- Real world experience developing distributed systems
AppLovin is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.