Product Design Lead
Kitchener, ON /
General and Administrative – Business Strategy /
We’re building a movement - an education revolution.
We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education.
ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, but we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
About the Team:
You will be joining a tight-knit, collaborative and highly motivated core team of ex-founders and early employees that care deeply about creating products with the highest impact. You will be working on a first-of-its-kind new product line with the core team responsible for its conception.
The team is determined to positively impact students around the world and build exceptional products that help them achieve the goals of study abroad.
About the Role:
As the first product designer on the team, you will have the opportunity to lead design for the creation and growth of one of the most ambitious new product domains at ApplyBoard. As with all new ambitious products, the role has a high level of ambiguity, but you are comfortable with uncertainty and can effectively prioritize and take action.
As part of the core team, you will work closely with product, engineering, and product marketing to help define the product vision and help turn the vision into reality.
As design lead, you'll strive to understand our customers’ challenges and build experiences that help students achieve their goals to study abroad.
Above all, we are looking for talented people who love collaborating on a passionate team to solve hard problems. If you checked off most of the above boxes, reach out and let's see if we're a good fit.
What you'll be doing everyday:
- Collaborate with the core team to define the product vision
- Lead user interviews and research to better understand students and their pain points
- Construct user flows, wireframes, and prototypes to validate products and features
- Create and conduct value and usability experiments to test new products and features
- Collaborate with the core team to define, build, and release new products and features
- Help grow the design team & define the composition of designers in future product teams
- Collaborate with primary org to ensure a cohesive user experience between connection points
What you bring to the table:
- 5+ years of experience designing digital products.
- Have experience taking a product from concept to launch
- A true collaborator. You enjoy working on a tight-knit product team of engineering, product managers, and product marketers.
- Problem solver. You are willing to jump outside your comfort zone to solve problems that might be outside of your area of expertise.
- Entrepreneur at heart. The core team consists of multiple-time founders that have a passion for building new products that people love.
- Bias towards action. When faced with a complex decision you prefer to experiment quickly and learn vs overanalyzing the problem.
- You love developing high-level strategy, but equally love getting into the weeds
- You’re a strong cross-functional leader who can influence outcomes across multiple stakeholders
- Front end development skills (HTML, CSS, and React)
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. If you require accommodation to submit an application and/or during the interview process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com. Requests will be addressed confidentially.
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement. Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 900 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages.
Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities. Want to learn more about Life at ApplyBoard, be sure to follow us on our Life at ApplyBoard Instagram.
ApplyBoard simplifies the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions on one platform. To date, ApplyBoard has become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list. In 2020, ApplyBoard announced a C$170M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ status. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world.
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.