Data Engineering, Lead
Kitchener, ON /
Research & Development – Data Science & Analytics /
We’re building a movement - an education revolution. We’re building a world where anyone, anywhere can have access to the best education regardless of where they were born. At our core, we believe education is a right, not a privilege. To that end, we’re building a company and a suite of products to lead the charge in transforming access to education. ApplyBoard is an online platform that empowers students around the world to access the best education by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions. We simplify the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process. Not only do we help students with their study abroad journey, but we also help academic institutions to find the best students globally. Our goal is to help enable better, more diverse, schools that are enriched with cultures from all over the world.
As a Data Engineering lead, you will lead efforts to improve the data management processes and measure data quality. You will be responsible for developing and maintaining the big data strategy for the organization and mapping it to the organizations business objectives.
With your Data engineering experience you will bring technical leadership in analyzing and synthesizing information to understand issues, identify options, and support sound decision making for the team of data engineers at ApplyBoard.
What you’ll be doing every day:
- Develop complex data features that meet business requirements
- Build tools to extract data from various sources to enrich the data that we collect
- Develop data gathering, processing, data quality, and warehousing based solutions
- Identify gaps and opportunities with regard to data governance and data ownership, and provide recommendations for improvements incorporating best practices
- Build scalable data infrastructure, design data models, and improve ML infrastructure models across the business and product
- Work with stakeholders including the Executive, Product, Data and Design teams to assist with data related technical issues and to support their data infrastructure needs
- Build and manage batch and streaming data pipelines that efficiently move data around the ecosystem
- Create the software infrastructure that keeps the data flowing and processing so that other professionals can analyze the data
- Analyze large data at terabyte scale using modern database technologies
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members that assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader
What you bring to the table:
- Advance SQL knowledge and experience of working with a variety of databases
- Experience object-oriented language - Python (preferred), Java or Scala
- Expertise in Data Engineering activities in Cloud – AWS (Preferred), GCP or Azure
- Experience and understanding of one or more of the following technologies AWS RedShift, AWS Glue, AWS EMR, SparkML, Amazon EC2, AWS Lambda, and Amazon SageMaker
- Experience developing data pipelines using cloud technologies
- Experience with implementing continuous improvement processes.
- Experience with workflow scheduling tools like Apache Airflow
- Experience with implementing data governance and security requirements
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard; however, only those applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted. At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we believe in providing equal opportunity regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. Please let us know if you require accommodation during the recruitment process.
Life at ApplyBoard:
By joining our team, you have the opportunity to:-Join the fastest-growing technology company in Canada, with many opportunities for growth and advancement-Work alongside a globally diverse team of over 700 team members based in 18 countries, who represent over 30 nationalities and speak more than 40 languages.
Make a difference in the lives of thousands of students as they explore educational opportunities. Want to learn more about Life at ApplyBoard? Check out this video, and be sure to follow us on our Life at ApplyBoard Instagram.
ApplyBoard simplifies the study abroad search, application, and acceptance process by connecting international students, recruitment partners, and academic institutions on one platform. To date, ApplyBoard has become the world’s largest online platform for international student recruitment, assisting more than 100,000 students with their educational journey.
In 2019, ApplyBoard was named the fastest-growing technology company in Canada by Deloitte, ranking #1 on the Technology Fast 50™ list. In May 2020, ApplyBoard announced a C$100M Series C funding on a C$2B valuation, reaching a ‘Unicorn’ status. This funding will allow us to further invest in our technology, grow our team, and serve more students on our mission to educate the world.
Thank you for your interest in ApplyBoard. Please note that only qualified applicants that have been selected for an interview will be contacted.
At ApplyBoard, we understand the value of having a diverse team. That’s why we provide equal opportunity to applicants regardless of race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, disability, and conviction. If you require an accommodation to submit an application and/or during the interview process, please notify the Talent Acquisition Team at email@example.com. Requests will be addressed confidentially.