Back-End Engineer (Elixir)
New York, NY
Full Time, Remote
Founded in 2014, AptDeco is an online furniture resale marketplace that makes the buying and selling of used furniture easy, affordable, and accessible. Fast forward to today, we operate a national marketplace and build cutting edge logistics for single furniture pickups and deliveries.
AptDeco is looking for a talented, detailed, and proactive back-end engineer with solid Elixir experience to join our small collaborative team. The back-end engineer will work on everything from optimizing our e-commerce platform architecture to creating predictive models that efficiently manage delivery resources to scaling solutions as we expand to new markets. This role will collaborate with other departments including Operations, Logistics, Customer Experience, and Product to solve unique business challenges and problems.
This role reports to the Director of Engineering. If you’re excited by writing clean Elixir code, making impactful contributions, and growing a national company, see below for more information.
What we're looking for:
- Proactive problem solvers and critical thinkers. You like to search for opportunities and don’t wait for directions.
- Detailed knowledge of back-end fundamentals (APIs, database, network layer, etc.).
- Familiarity with the Elixir ecosystem.
- Experience building highly scalable, robust, and fault-tolerant systems. Your feedback, opinion, and expertise is valued.
- Driven, focused self-starters who take ownership of their work. We stay action oriented and results driven especially in the face of adversary.
- Continuous learners. The team is driven by learning and growing and loves to take on new tasks.
- Detail oriented and strong communicator. Whether it’s spotting missing requirements or communicating timeline expectations, you pay attention to the small things and communicate when things don’t go to plan.
You'll work on:
- AptDeco’s e-commerce web platform: Catalog management, purchases, and order management; Regional localization and scaling as we expand to new markets; Database query optimization
- Internal scheduling and delivery logistics systems: Creating algorithms to match customer schedules with our logistical capabilities; Optimizing pickup and delivery routes to be as efficient as possible; Ensuring our delivery operations run smoothly and effectively
- 3+ years back-end web development experience
- At least 2 years of Elixir, Phoenix, and Ecto experience
- Practical understanding of relational databases (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- A strong desire to learn new technologies and programming languages
- Working knowledge of Absinthe or other Elixir libraries
- Prior experience with Erlang or other functional programming languages
- AWS knowledge and DevOps practices
- Bonus - You’ve used our site before and bought or sold an item on the AptDeco marketplace
$120,000 - $140,000 / annual salary
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of a total compensation package that also includes benefits, equity, and other opportunities at AptDeco. We created thoughtful and well researched salary ranges that take into consideration the following components: company industry, size, revenue, department, and funding stage.
As an early stage startup, we also include equity in compensation packages and believe employees should have an option to purchase ownership in the company and benefit from what we hope will be a lot of upside growth.
Individual pay decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, and balancing internal equity relative to other employees. We are confident that the overall package offered is on par if not more competitive to others at our stage.
AptDeco (YC W14) is a peer-to-peer marketplace for buying and selling quality used furniture. Our customers love us because we take care of all the logistics on their behalf. We’re a fast growing NYC based startup. We are ambitious, engaged, and excited about disrupting the secondhand furniture industry. Moving can be stressful and we’re working everyday to ease this hassle for people across the United States.
AptDeco is committed to building diverse, inclusive, and equitable teams. We’re proud to be an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourage individuals from a wide range of backgrounds to apply for positions.