[Archive] Senior Software Engineer (Formerly Software Engineer)
Engineering & Design
We're looking for a Software Engineer to help build and make Aptible the best security management platform for startups.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Aptible Team. Reporting directly to our VP of Technology, you'll be responsible for designing and developing tools that help our clients improve their security posture.
It’s true: Software is eating the world, powered by the Internet. A growing wave of developers all over the world are using web-scale technology to build and deploy healthcare, fintech, banking, payments, IoT, blockchain, machine learning, and other B2B applications.
Security and compliance are mandatory from day one for these teams of developers, but many of them struggle. When their teams are small, they can’t afford to hire full-time for security or compliance. When they scale, they find that existing security and compliance management tools suck.
At Aptible, we make people-centered security products that help developer teams build security into their architecture and their organization’s culture. Today, we have two products: Enclave and Gridiron.
Enclave is a container orchestration platform built for developers that automates security best practices and controls needed for deploying and scaling Dockerized apps in regulated industries. Gridiron is like the missing QuickBooks + TurboTax for security management. It helps developers design and run security management programs that meet and exceed requirements like HIPAA, SOC 2, and ISO 27001. Customers use it to build trust with their own customers and partners, and prepare for certifications.
As Software Engineer, you'll focus mostly on Gridiron, but will have visibility into both products and contribute broadly to the Aptible Team.
What You'll Do
- You'll design, develop, test, deploy, maintain and improve Gridiron.
- You'll manage individual project priorities, deadlines, and deliverables.
About You: Strengths
- Ability to Design to Constraints: You can produce a design to achieve a goal (e.g. “the user needs to see this particular piece of information here”). Your designs should be performant, maintainable, and evolvable.
- Desire to Improve Things: You seek to understand why things are the way they are, and think about ways to make them better.
- Product Sense: You seek to understand the features you're working on, and actively propose positive changes.
- Desire to Learn Our Tools: You seek and have the ability to learn the tools we use today, and the new tools we might use tomorrow. Knowledge of what we use today is a plus. 1) Concepts: Type Systems, Web Development 2) Tools: JS, Ruby, Flow, Postgres.
- Software Development Experience: You hold a B.S. in Computer Science or related technical field, and/or have equivalent professional experience shipping code that works. You have the ability to write and debug code.
- Craftsmanship: As a small but growing company, we don't have an established toolchain, IT Support, or inflexible workflows. You own your toolchain end-to-end, share innovations with others, and are generally self-directed. More broadly speaking, you're passionate about software engineering as an activity.
About You: Other Attributes
- Ownership Mentality: You take ownership, responsibility, and initiative. You have a track record of consistently delivering impactful, high-quality work on time.
- People-Oriented: You’re excited to work with a small group of high-performers. You foster collaboration, build trust, and support information sharing with colleagues.
- Love for Learning: You’re looking for an environment that challenges you to gain new knowledge and grow professionally every day. You’re adaptable in the face of change.
- Appetite for Remote Work: You’re ready to work with a fully distributed team, communicating asynchronously, deliberately, and openly across time zones and cultures.
- Passion for Internet Security: You want to create a more secure Internet, and are excited to help innovative companies solve their hardest engineering and regulatory problems.
- Making the Internet safe to trust with sensitive data is a good thing! It’s also pretty fun. You’ll learn a lot about Security, Compliance, DevOps, and SaaS.
- You’ll feel invested in your work and make an impact. We’re highly transparent internally with business strategy, important decisions, and our failures and successes.
- You’ll help build a business for the long-term and invest in a sustainable business model. We’re backed by excellent investors and have the resources we need to do a great job.
- Everyone gets to live in the place that suits them best. We work remotely, and meet up at least twice a year in places like Barcelona, Mexico, and New York. Next Up: Paris?
- Commitment: Full-Time
- Location: Anywhere
- Compensation: Competitive Salary, Equity, Health Benefits, Flexible Paid Time Off
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.