Senior Software Engineer: Aptible Deploy
Remote (North America)
Engineering, Design, Product
We're looking for an experienced backend engineer looking for a challenge.
This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Aptible Team. You'll be responsible for designing and developing tools that help our clients improve their security posture.
We see a future where it’s easy to bring a great idea into the world using the internet, while respecting data security and privacy. The next generation of businesses will design security and privacy into their operating processes. If every business is going to be a software business, every business will need to be a security business.
We’re working to make information security a core competency of every startup. We envision a world in which startups have access to great information security, are empowered to focus on their businesses instead of on compliance, can scale faster and more efficiently, and are confident that they're creating quality products.
Commitment to the Team
We're passionate about building a diverse team of talented people who accomplish great things together, regardless of where they are. We talk a lot about the science of high-performing teams and how to make Aptible the best environment to support that kind of team. If you love the mutual support and camaraderie of a strong team that wins together, we want to hear from you.
Commitment to Each Other
We commit to each other as individuals, one on one. We measure our commitments carefully and hold each other accountable, which means we’re able to deliver more for our colleagues and customers in the long run. We set only a few very clear, ambitious goals as a company each quarter, and talk about them constantly to reinforce focus. We make time to recognize, praise, and reward those who consistently deliver on their promises.
Commitment to The Mission
Startups are hard, and we expect challenges and missteps. We love winning, but most of all, we value getting back up and getting better at what we do. We are deeply motivated to build trust on the internet by empowering teams, and we respect grit and perseverance in furtherance of that mission.
Growth Over Perfection
We fail often and early, and learn from it. We talk about improving constantly. We praise those who give feedback early and often. We put effort into being good at giving feedback: When we give feedback, we make each other feel big, not small. This helps create an environment where we can take reasonable risks, which in turn helps us make decisions quickly and learn fast. We expect managers to delegate a lot, and acknowledge that delegation means sometimes letting someone make what you think is the wrong decision.
Teaching as Learning
We are a team of learners. We value and respect teaching as the best way to learn, and make time to share information openly. We set explicit goals around training, and devote resources to developing and improving our internal training. We praise those who share knowledge in public — by asking and answering questions in team chat, writing documentation, and writing for our customers.
Taking Responsibility Over Giving Responsibility
Identifying problems is a good start, but we love solving them more. We think and talk a lot about how we can improve, and work hard at it. We value and reward those who take initiative. We don't like meetings where we only talk about problems.
We ask “why?” a lot in order to understand root causes. Asking why helps us cultivate focus and make high-quality decisions quickly. We don't attribute mistakes to human error. We view them as a starting point for an inquiry, not the end. This is a unique opportunity to be a high-impact, early member of the Aptible Team.
- You'll take ownership of new features and iterate on existing ones to increase the value of Aptible Deploy for our customers, who rely on us to reduce their infrastructure workload and achieve compliance goals (in the past we've worked on: Metric drains, providing auto-renewing SSL/TLS certificates, and improvements to our tooling and automation that allow us to respond to vulnerabilities like Meltdown and Spectre even faster).
- You'll engage with customers to understand how they use the product, identify pain points, and prioritize future development.
- You have a thorough understanding of Linux. Aptible Deploy leverages a number of advanced Linux features through Docker, which you need to understand as an Aptible Deploy engineer.
- You have experience with a variety of programming languages. The best language to implement a core web API is unlikely to be the best language to implement a metrics collection agent, both of which you’re likely to work on.
- You're familiar with or eager to learn about the software on which Aptible Deploy is built. Cloud IaaS (AWS), Docker, PostgreSQL, Redis, sqlite.
- You have experience with defensive and offensive security, such as through participation in capture-the-flag events or work experience. As a hosting provider for regulated industries, customers expect us to build to the highest standards of security.
- You’re comfortable interacting with, understanding, and troubleshooting unfamiliar software. When troubleshooting platform trouble or escalated customer issues, you’re likely to have to interact with software you’ve never seen before.
- You're excited by the prospect of working on a small team to build a complex product. The Aptible Deploy Team — including Support and Operations — currently consists of only three team members, and serves hundreds of companies with tens of thousands of concurrently-running containers. As a member of this team, you’ll have an outsized impact and degree of responsibility.
- Work from Anywhere: Enjoy the flexibility of working from home, a local co-working space, or your favorite coffee shop.
- Open Vacation Policy: We encourage you to take the time you need, when you need it — for any holiday or matter of personal importance.
- Paid Parental Leave: We offer job-protected Paid Time Off — 12 Weeks, Fully Paid — for all parents to bond with a newly born, adopted, or fostered child.
- Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance: We offer comprehensive health care for employees, with 100% of premiums paid by Aptible.
- Hardware & Software: We help you create your ideal office setup and provide any software you’ll need.
- Company Travel: We come together in-person at least two to three times per year, in locations around the globe.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We prioritize diversity within our team and value different perspectives, educational backgrounds, and life experiences. We encourage people from underrepresented backgrounds to apply.