Prediction and Behavior Modeling Research Scientist
Boston, MA, US
Advanced Engineering – Autonomous Vehicle Technology (R&D)
Aptiv Autonomous Mobility
Our real-world mobility solutions are driving us toward a safer, greener and better connected future. Aptiv is providing the “brain” and “nervous system” for vehicles that will change the face of mobility for people worldwide.
Aptiv’s Autonomous Mobility team is focused on developing, and commercializing autonomous vehicles and systems that enable point-to-point mobility via large fleets of autonomous vehicles in challenging urban driving environments. With talented teams working across the globe, from Boston to Singapore, Aptiv was the first company to deploy a commercial, point-to-point autonomous ride-hailing service based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In November 2017, Aptiv acquired autonomous vehicle software startup nuTonomy, an integral part of Aptiv’s Autonomous Mobility team. With continued research, development, and both current and future commercial deployments, we are looking for talented and passionate people to join our team.
Work with leading engineers, research scientists, marketers and business development experts, all while enabling the future of mobility. At Aptiv, we believe that our mobility solutions have the power to change the world. For more information, please visit www.aptiv.com/our-journey and see our www.aptiv.com/careers for opportunities.
About this position
We are looking to add a highly talented Prediction and Behavior Modeling Research Scientist to help us build probabilistic models of the future state of the world (e.g., cars, pedestrians, and other road users). As a research scientist, you will use real-time perception data and prior knowledge to estimate how the world around us will change, so that the planner can make better decisions. Your applied mathematics, data analytics, and machine learning experience will inform your pragmatic approach to making a more intelligent autonomous vehicle. Does this sound like you?
What you’ll work on:
- Dive into data to understand behaviors of road users such as cars, bikes, and pedestrians; leverage machine learning methods where appropriate
- Develop probabilistic models to predict how other road users may move and interact with our car, and evaluate their performance on real-world and simulated data sets
- Translate generated algorithms into production-level code
- Collaborate with Planning and Perception teams to achieve objectives in improving system performance
Education and Experience we want from you:
- MS or PhD in computer science, robotics, or similar field, ideally focused on intent modeling for behavior prediction, or 3+ years practical experience in data science, modeling, statistics, and analysis of large data sets
- Fluency in C++ or Python, including standard scientific computing libraries
- Experience working with large data sets
- Experience using modern software engineering tools (e.g., version control, CI)
- Strong applied math background
Bonus points (but not required):
- In-depth understanding of common Machine Learning and Deep Learning algorithms (e.g., for classification, regression, and clustering)
- Experience developing autonomous vehicles or robots
- Experience in a regulated, safety critical environment
Aptiv is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.