Motion Planning Research Scientist
Boston, MA, US
Advanced Engineering – Autonomous Vehicle Technology (R&D)
Aptiv Autonomous Mobility
Our real-world mobility solutions are driving us toward a safer, greener and better connected future. Aptiv is providing the “brain” and “nervous system” for vehicles that will change the face of mobility for people worldwide.
Aptiv’s Autonomous Mobility team is focused on developing, and commercializing autonomous vehicles and systems that enable point-to-point mobility via large fleets of autonomous vehicles in challenging urban driving environments. With talented teams working across the globe, from Boston to Singapore, Aptiv was the first company to deploy a commercial, point-to-point autonomous ride-hailing service based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
In November 2017, Aptiv acquired autonomous vehicle software startup nuTonomy, an integral part of Aptiv’s Autonomous Mobility team. With continued research, development, and both current and future commercial deployments, we are looking for talented and passionate people to join our team.
Work with leading engineers, research scientists, marketers and business development experts, all while enabling the future of mobility. At Aptiv, we believe that our mobility solutions have the power to change the world. For more information, please visit www.aptiv.com/our-journey and see our www.aptiv.com/careers for opportunities.
About this position
We are seeking highly talented Motion Planning Research Scientists with experience working in mobile robotics who can ensure that our self-driving cars deliver consistent, robust performance. The ideal candidate will be an expert in motion control theory and have experience developing production-quality software.
Things you'll get to work on:
- Advise C++ software engineers about architectures and approaches that will facilitate a future transition to embedded systems
Skills and traits you will likely already have:
- PhD or Masters
- Expert in motion planning or control engineering
- Strong background in data structures and algorithms
- Experience with real-time constraints
- Excellent C/C++ development skills on Linux platforms
- Experience developing software as part of a team
- Good software engineering habits
- Experience with software engineering tools (e.g., Git, CMake, CI, gdb,etc)
- Desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
Bonus points (but not required):
- Familiarity with additional programming languages (e.g., Python)
- Experience with sampling-based motion planners, lattice-based planners, planning under uncertainty, and/or numerical optimization
- Experience in a regulated, safety critical environment