Senior Autonomous Driving Control Engineer
Pittsburgh, PA, US
Advanced Engineering – R&D
Moving mobility forward
We are Aptiv – a new technology company with a proven history of enabling mobility. Operating as Delphi, we pioneered advances in the industry. Now, as Aptiv, we’re more dedicated than ever to bringing the next generation of autonomous vehicles, smart cities and connectivity to life.
Join our innovative team
Want to do more than just imagine the ways our world will move tomorrow? Here’s your opportunity. Join the technology company that’s transforming the future of mobility today.
Aptiv is an advanced technology company with a proven history of enabling mobility. We’re dedicated to bringing the next generation of autonomous vehicles, smart cities and connectivity to life. Aptiv.com
Our R&D Engineers play a key role in making the vehicle of the future a reality by developing control technologies that deliver a turnkey, fully autonomous driving system for our customers and enable Mobility on Demand (MoD). As we expand our global footprint, we are looking for exceptional vehicle control engineering talent to perform automotive tests and ensure the safety of our products.
Do you have a knack for vehicle dynamics models (e.g. to understand if a vehicle is turning or slipping and how to correct it)? Do you enjoy figuring out how to best control the steering wheel, throttle and/or brake, etc. of a vehicle in an automated fashion? If the answers are yes, we’re looking for you.
What You'll Do:
- Design, implement, and tune real-time controllers for steering, throttle, and brake systems for various self-driving driving vehicles.
- Develop and optimize estimators to observe relevant vehicle states and disturbances.
- Derive, fit, and simulate accurate vehicle dynamics models.
- Implement the prototype vehicle control algorithms in an autonomous vehicle for on-road and simulation tests.
- Work with algorithm experts in perception, motion planning and platform control.
- Show initiative and be a valued team member in our innovative, fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment where cooperative teamwork is the norm.
- Build new concepts and groundbreaking solutions that shape the future of mobility.
What You'll Bring:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Engineering, Robotics, Mechanical Engineering, ECE or relevant field.
- 1+ years of experience implementing controllers, based on classical and modern control theory.
- MS/PhD in Robotics/CS/EE/ECE/ME/related area or 5+ years industry experience in controls for robotic systems is preferred.
- Thorough understanding of linear/non-linear control theory (MPC, LQR, DDP, iLQR), kinematics, mechanical system dynamics is preferred.
- Experience with MATLAB/Simulink is preferred.
- Experience in implementing, using debugging high-fidelity dynamics simulators is preferred.
- Familiarity with Linux environment.
- C++/Python development is a plus.
- Strong problem solving skills.
- Ability to learn.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Flexible and creative thinking.
Aptiv is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.