Functional Safety Engineer
Advanced Engineering – Autonomous Vehicle Technology (R&D)
Our real-world mobility solutions are driving us toward a safer, greener and better connected future. Aptiv is providing the “brain” and “nervous system” for vehicles that will change the face of mobility for people worldwide.
Aptiv’s Autonomous Mobility team is focused on developing, and commercializing autonomous vehicles and systems that enable point-to-point mobility via large fleets of autonomous vehicles in challenging urban driving environments. With talented teams working across the globe, from Boston to Singapore, Aptiv was the first company to deploy a commercial, point-to-point autonomous ride-hailing service based in Las Vegas, Nevada.
Work with leading engineers, research scientists, marketers and business development experts, all while enabling the future of mobility. At Aptiv, we believe that our mobility solutions have the power to change the world. For more information, please visit www.aptiv.com/our-journey and see our www.aptiv.com/careers for opportunities.
We are seeking experienced Functional Safety Engineers to help design and define the next generation architectures for our self-driving car technology. The ideal candidate has worked on safety-critical automotive engineering projects before and is well-versed in the safety management life cycle for complex software and hardware systems.
- Drive the concept level and system level development of the functional safety deliverables in line with ISO 26262 and ISO 21448
- Collaborate with System Architect on implementation of automotive functional safety for Aptiv’s autonomous driving system
- Work with engineering teams to derive functional and safety-critical requirements in compliance with state-of-the-art automotive standards
- Drive the design integration and verification efforts across all teams by applying FMEA, FTA and similar techniques
- Engage with external manufacturers and suppliers to ensure compliance across all parts of the vehicle system
Education and Experience:
- BS or MS in computer science, engineering, or a related field
- 4+ years professional work experience in functional safety within large, complex embedded systems
What You'll Bring:
- Strong experience with ISO 26262
- Experience with the concepts behind ISO 21448 / “SOTIF”
- Practical experience with methods such as HARA, FMEA, root cause analysis
- Experience delivering a functional safety project from concept to full specification
- Defining test and validation plans for autonomous driving system
- Experience working in the following industries/types of systems: automotive, aviation, security, manufacturing, trains, automotive, oil & gas
- Excellent communication skills
- Desire to work in a fast-paced startup environment
Good to have
- C++ software development skills on Linux platforms
- Experience with GSN notation