Machine Learning Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Aquabyte is seeking a Machine Learning Engineer to help develop and deploy new algorithms to fish farms across the world.
Aquabyte is on a mission to revolutionize the sustainability and efficiency of aquaculture. It is an audacious, and incredibly rewarding mission. By making fish farming cheaper and more viable than livestock production, we aim to mitigate one of the biggest causes of climate change and help prepare our planet for impending population growth. Aquaculture is the single fastest growing food-production sector in the world, and now is the time to define how technology is used to harvest the sea and preserve for generations to come.
We are a diverse, mission-driven team that is eager to work alongside kindred spirits. If this vision makes you smile, gives you goosebumps, or otherwise inspires you please get in touch.
We are currently focused on helping salmon farmers better understand their fish populations and make environmentally-sound decisions. Through custom underwater cameras, computer vision, and machine learning we are able to quantify fish weights, detect the health status, and generate optimal feeding plans in real time. Our product operates at three levels: on-site hardware for image capture, cloud pipelines for data processing, and a user-facing web application. As a result, there are hundreds of moving pieces and no shortage of fascinating challenges across all levels of the stack.
Above all, Aquabyte is a customer-driven company. Our product development is dictated by the needs of fish farmers and we prioritize customer delight in everything we do. We are committed to build a global, collaborative team that creates value far beyond Silicon Valley.
Our product is entirely dependent on sophisticated machine learning, deep learning, and sophisticated software architectures to create value for fish farmers. As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will use machine learning to extract valuable information from visual features surfaced by deep learning models, and analyze incoming time-series data so that fish farmers make better strategic and operational decisions. Our database of labeled images is growing exponentially. You will be joining our small yet powerful research team, and will work closely alongside engineers with years of industry and academic experience.
- Selecting features, building and optimizing models based on machine learning / computer vision to power Aquabyte product lines such as biomass estimation, lice counting, and optimal feeding
- Conduct time series analysis and design forecasting models to optimize common farm practices such as fish feeding, fish harvesting, and delousing preparations
- Collaborate with other engineering and product teams to scope product features and database schemas
- Data mining using state-of-the-art methods
- Extending company’s data with third party sources of information when needed
- Enhancing data collection procedures to include information that is relevant for building analytic systems
- Processing, cleansing, and verifying the integrity of data used for analysis
- Doing ad-hoc analysis and presenting results in a clear manner
- BS/MS in a technical degree
- 3 - 5+ years of experience with building machine learning models
- Understanding of deep learning models
- Experience with cloud tools (AWS, GCP) and relational databases (MySQL, Postgres)
- Strong coding ability; Strong grasp of Python
- Some start up experience
- Great problem solving skills
- Excellent communication skills (will be liaison between engineering and research teams)
DESIRED BUT NOT REQUIRED
- 5+ years of professional machine learning engineering experience (especially at a startup)
- Experience with classic computer vision - for example: (a) Keypoint detection - SIFT/SURF and ORB feature detectors; (b) Stereo matching techniques (e.g. semi-global block matching); (c) Edge detection - Canny
- Experience in / knowledge of deep learning
- Ph. D in Machine Learning, computer vision or related field
- Enjoy excellent benefits, including equity in the company, a 401k program and paid lunch every day
- Evolve in a very fast-paced engineering environment with short development cycles
- Be able to shape a revolutionary product in its early days
- Get ideas, feedback, and suggestions from other best-in-their-field engineers
- Travel between SF and Norway
Aquabyte is a private company headquartered in San Francisco, and is supported by NEA, Costanoa Ventures, and many other respected investors.
At Aquabyte, we admire interesting people with a unique background. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy all the requirements, and we will get back to you as soon as possible!