Machine Learning Platform Engineer
San Francisco, CA /
Aquabyte is seeking a Machine Learning Platform Engineer to drive the development, testing, and delivery of machine learning models that enable cutting-edge analytics and automation of fish farms around the world.
Watch our TV episode with Amazon's CTO at a Norwegian fish farm: https://youtu.be/YZ_qJ5JFD3I
Aquabyte is on a mission to revolutionize the sustainability and efficiency of aquaculture. It is an audacious, and incredibly rewarding mission. By making fish farming cheaper and more viable than livestock production, we aim to mitigate one of the biggest causes of climate change and help prepare our planet for impending population growth. Aquaculture is the single fastest growing food-production sector in the world, and now is the time to define how technology is used to harvest the sea for generations to come.
We are a diverse, mission-driven team that is eager to work alongside kindred spirits. If this vision makes you smile, gives you goosebumps, or otherwise inspires you please get in touch.
We are currently focused on helping Norwegian salmon farmers better understand their fish populations and make environmentally-sound decisions. Through custom underwater cameras, computer vision, and machine learning we are able to quantify fish weights, detect sea lice infestations, and generate optimal feeding plans in real time. Our product operates at three levels: on-site hardware for image capture, cloud pipelines for data processing, and a user-facing web application. As a result, there are hundreds of moving pieces and no shortage of fascinating challenges across all levels of the stack.
Above all, Aquabyte is a customer-driven company. Our product development is dictated by the needs of fish farmers and we prioritize customer delight in everything we do. We are committed to build a global, collaborative team that creates value far beyond Silicon Valley.
It is an exciting time for Aquabyte: we are on the verge of scaling our machine learning solutions to hundreds of fish farms across Norway and other geographies. A highly scalable machine learning product requires excellent infrastructure for monitoring algorithm performance, versioning production models, and visualizing data. We seek an engineer who can lead the charge on these initiatives, ideally one with vast experience in operating at the intersection of machine learning and software development.
As a Machine Learning Platform Engineer, you will be responsible for building out and maintaining a robust, scalable machine learning infrastructure for Aquabyte's research team. You will build continuous integration workflows to strengthen our codebase, build dashboards to extract visual insights from an ever-growing dataset, and bring the best software development practices to a small, world-class research team. Your work will directly help establish Aquabyte's machine learning product as the industry standard in aquaculture technology.
- Serve as the key engineer responsible for building out and maintaining a robust, scalable machine learning infrastructure for Aquabyte's research team
- Build continuous automated retraining framework for models in production to enable online learning
- Create infrastructure for versioning, deploying, and monitoring production models
- Develop, test, and deploy entire machine learning production pipelines from ingest to visualization
- Build testing and continuous integration workflows for an ever-growing ML research codebase
- Maintain high-quality internal dashboards for data analysis and visualization
- Work at the cutting-edge of the latest machine learning and computer vision research.
- Masters or PhD in CS / EE or equivalent from a top research university.
- 5+ years of experience with building machine learning pipelines and infrastructure
- 5+ years of experience with cloud tools (AWS, GCP)
- Intimate experience with relational databases (MySQL, Postgres)
- Experience with creating analytics dashboards for machine learning products
- Experience with maintaining large research code bases
- Previous startup experience
- Extremely strong coding abilities, especially in Python
- Ability to work independently and efficiently on projects.
- 5-10 years of industry experience
- Intimate experience with classical machine learning, deep learning, and data science
- Knowledge in making inference faster / reducing weights in deep learning models
- Knowledge in distributed training for deep learning models
- Enjoy excellent benefits, including equity in the company, a 401k program and paid lunch every day
- Evolve in a very fast-paced engineering environment with short development cycles
- Be able to shape a revolutionary product in its early days
- Get ideas, feedback, and suggestions from other best-in-their-field engineers
- Travel between SF and Norway
For an overview of Aquabyte, watch this documentary by Amazon's CTO https://youtu.be/YZ_qJ5JFD3I
Aquabyte's mission is to revolutionize the sustainability of aquaculture, the fastest growing sector of food production. By helping fish farming overtake livestock production, we aim to mitigate one of the biggest causes of climate change and prepare our planet for increasing population growth. Our team is driven by this mission, and believes that problem solving has never been so important.
Aquabyte is a private company headquartered in San Francisco, and is supported by NEA, Costanoa Ventures, and many others.
At Aquabyte, we admire interesting people with unique backgrounds. We strongly encourage you to apply even if you don’t satisfy all the requirements. We will get back to you as soon as possible.