Engineering Manager (US-Remote)
Washington, DC /
Who we are
Aquicore was founded in 2013 in the early hours of the morning on the belief that smarter and more connected buildings will have a global impact in curbing our climate challenges and make buildings technologically ready for the next century.
We create global impact by bettering the built environment every day.
Our next generation of software facilitates smarter building operations used by the largest real estate owners and operators around the world. We are changing the industry from the ground up and we’re looking for the right people to achieve our mission!
We’re amped by the work we do and driven to constantly propel our values and culture. While awards aren’t the goal, we are humbled to be recognized as one of the coolest places to work by organizations such as DC Inno. Our people come first and it’s the combination of our culture and our mission that has been our greatest differentiator. We take our core values as a company seriously and aspire to level-up our Aquicorians in their careers and professional growth.
We are looking for an Engineering Manager that will define the next generation of the Aquicore platform. We will challenge you to:
See the forest in addition to the trees and approach development in a way that emphasizes real value for the organization and all its stakeholders
Focus on solutions and solve problems rather than just leading a team to deliver code
Develop across the multiple parts of our technical stack - from the embedded software to back-end object modeling and data relationships
Bring to life the platform that allows our customers to collect millions of points of data from live sensors in commercial buildings and utilize the information in helpful ways
The Impact you’ll have
As an Engineering Manager, you will lead a team of Software and Data Engineers to deliver high-quality software and cloud applications that redefine how data is collected and used in the real estate industry. We maintain a fast-paced and data-driven team in an ever-changing technical environment. In this role, you need a critical eye for detail with the ability to maintain a holistic approach to your team’s work. You should appreciate the process, but ultimately focus on outcomes.
In addition to the pure engineering and management aspects of this role, you will work closely with our Product Management team to ensure we are planning, prioritizing, de-risking, and delivering the highest business value with each feature. This is not solely the responsibility of one team, and you will work with our other business units to ensure that our deliverables are complete, accurate, and meeting the rigorous demands of our customer base.
The Skills You Will Need
- 6+ years of experience working on and with Software Engineering teams
- 2+ years of experience leading a Software Engineering team in an agile environment
- Bachelor’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent
- Strong and demonstrable software development skills - TypeScript and NodeJS preferred
- Experience working within the AWS cloud environment -microservices preferred
- Experience working with modern DevOps processes and CI/CD pipelines
- Demonstrable skills using team collaboration tools - GitHub, JIRA, Confluence preferred
- Ability to provide and receive feedback well in code reviews and general coaching sessions
- Experience setting, delivering, and measuring team goals
- Strong desire and ability to mentor direct reports in technical areas to enable growth
- Experience conducting performance reviews for direct reports
- Ability to reinforce and build a culture of engineering excellence within a team
- Experience hiring for engineering roles
- Ability to manage a team of remote direct reports
- Highly responsive and able to work in a virtual environment
- Be a self-starter with the drive, determination, and ability to take ownership of projects
- Enjoy technology/software challenges and thrive in a high-output team environment
- Strong desire to enhance oneself and team through continuous learning, measurement, and improvement
Our Technical Stack
- Cloud Infrastructure-
- Cloud Applications
- Node.js (Typescript) - Lambda and containerized services
- Java - Application servers
- Python - Data Science services
- AWS IoT Core
- Data Storage
- PostgreSQL - Relational dataInflux
- Data - Time series data
- Snowflake - Data warehouse
Within 1 Month you will…
- Complete our training program designed to get you up to speed with our business and our customers. You’ll learn about our business, product, vision, and team, and gain an understanding about how your role fits into the AQ family.
- Speak fluently about our customer segments and the businesses that buy and sell real estate who use our product.
- Understand the fundamentals about real estate, how buildings work, and why the real estate industry buys and sells iconic skyscrapers across the cities of the US.
- Understand the key personas within real estate who use our product and why they use it.
- Participate in weekly team meetings that get you up to speed with our development process.
- Develop familiarity with our current codebases and software applications.
- Implement bug fixes and feature enhancements that deliver real business value in production.
- Establish a regular cadence of reporting your weekly accomplishments and challenges to your manager.
Within 3 Months you will…
- Participate in your team’s successful completion of multiple milestones for a Product team epic.
- Lead daily, weekly, and sprint engineering meetings with your team.
- Provide mentoring and feedback to team members through code review cycles.
- Deliver high-quality code, construct meaningful unit tests, and generate user interface tests to ensure the success of your team.
- Collaborate with other Team Leads and Product Managers to groom and plan the technical components and stories for a Product team epic.
Within 6 Months you will…
- Plan and guide your team’s engineering resources through the successful completion of an epic milestone.
- Working with other engineers develop component/architectural designs based on sound technical theory and reasoning.
- Be able to proactively identify and unblock technical challenges related to scalability and performance of the Aquicore platform.
- Educate, mentor and train team members across your engineering team on trends, industry standards, and best practices.
- Host internal Lunch-and-Learn session(s) with the entire engineering team to showcase new features, technologies, or process enhancements that can benefit the engineering team.
Within 12 Months you will…
- Form strong opinions about our Roadmap and what we should be building based on your technical knowledge.
- Conduct and deliver feedback through team performance reviews.
- Become a critical voice and contributor to strategic discussions across Product.
Is this role not a perfect fit?
Sign up to stay in touch. We have new positions regularly and we’d love to reach out to you first when it opens up!
We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, national origin, gender, race, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age. Aquicore is an EEOC.