Berkeley, California /
Active Search /
A Bit About Us:
We are Arcadia Science. Arcadia is a science company founded and led by scientists. Our mission is to transform evolutionary innovations into real-world solutions by openly developing more efficient, replicable, and sustainable ways to leverage the biology of diverse organisms.
We are seeking a Creative Director to lead content strategy, creation and design for Arcadia’s promotional and outreach efforts. You will help us tell the story of our experiment developing a different model for funding basic science. In partnership with our Publishing team, you will help engage the scientific community for feedback and contribute to recruiting entrepreneurial scientists to join our team.
An ideal candidate for this role will have an ability to understand scientific research (bonus for having a science background) and accurately tell the story of that research to a broad audience. The creative director should also be able to think and communicate clearly about Arcadia’s company building process and how we fit into the broader, evolving scientific ecosystem. This candidate should have a rational, succinct style of written communication that reflects the work clearly and concisely.
The ideal candidate should have direct experience both creating and leading the development of a diverse array of media formats, including but not limited to short-form general audience scicomm blog pieces, slide decks, animated shorts, and live or recorded interviews. Although the Creative Director’s work will operate independently of our research Publishing Team, their efforts would ideally synergize with publishing by contributing to cohesive visual branding, amplification of general audience outreach, and a unified narrative reporting our scientific progress across different audiences.
- Tell the story of Arcadia’s novel approach to scientific research to a broad audience
- Produce new ideas and content for company outreach, branding, promotional campaigns, and start-up spinout pitch materials.
- Evaluate trends, assess communications-related data, and stay up-to-date with the latest marketing techniques.
- Adeptly manage priorities, relations with vendors and independent contributors, deadlines, and budgets for company communication efforts.
- Maintain and update Arcadia’s website. Work with leadership to develop smart, well-crafted website copy as needed.
- Draft descriptive, thoughtful blog posts about company building, science updates, and promotional events.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest experiments in how science is carried out, published, and organized (new scientific organizations and initiatives, research on the science of science, open science community dialogue).
- Source opportunities for community engagement, such as social media management, press releases, podcast interviews, etc.
- Develop a visual brand and coordinate with the publishing team for design consistency.
- Create fun, creative scientific summaries (written and animated) as companion pieces for some of our research publications.
- Basic background in life sciences. Candidates should be able to read and understand primary scientific literature in the biological sciences.
- A minimum of 5 years experience including but not limited to copywriting and website maintenance, social media, earned media, and production of written and visual content such as science focused graphic illustrations or videos.
- A solid understanding of design, copy, and web practices.
- Familiarity with format and design concepts for biotech start-up pitch decks.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, spanning general and highly technical audiences.
- Strong preference for candidates with direct experience generating animations and video content.
- In-depth knowledge of brand development and multichannel marketing models.
- Ability to work rapidly and adapt to evolving needs of organization.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and personal website link and/or design portfolio.
The expected salary range is $125,000–$180,000 per year with generous equity and benefits, depending on experience level. The position will require the individual to be on-site at our Berkeley, California headquarters.
Arcadia Science is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities. We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work. Please note that an offer of employment from Arcadia is contingent upon the successful clearance of a reference and background check.