Scientist, Process Development
Active Search /
A Bit About Us:
We are Arcadia Science. Arcadia is a science company founded and led by scientists. Our mission is to transform evolutionary innovations into real-world solutions by openly developing more efficient, replicable, and sustainable ways to leverage the biology of diverse organisms. Scientists at Arcadia share as much of their research as possible to gather community feedback and accelerate scientific progress.
Arcadia is a combined platform company and biotech start-up incubator. The Engineering function within Arcadia involves creative and iterative implementation of scientific tools to solve biological research problems, with a particular focus on developing user-friendly, scalable solutions for the most critical and widely-used research tools in the company.
We are seeking an experienced Scientist to join the Engineering function. The Scientist will convert research-grade biological techniques and processes developed in the company into scalable, reproducible workflows for maximum benefit across the organization. The Scientist will be a technical expert in assay/process development, lab automation, and molecular biology and will contribute their expertise to building multilateral functionality across these capabilities in the company.
- Hands-on lab work to productionize, troubleshoot, and optimize a range of research-grade biological assays/techniques developed within Arcadia
- Leverage lab automation to scale up existing processes to improve usability and repeatability
- Provide technical leadership in laboratory automation, assay development, HTS, NGS, and other wet-lab techniques
- Collaborate with the Software team to develop high quality, interoperable tools with a shared data infrastructure
- Rapidly adapt to new directions, such as use cases in novel organisms, new assays, or techniques
- Solicit and address feedback from tool users; prioritize, and communicate current and future capabilities to users; clearly communicate the time/resource commitment needed to add functionality to assays, adapt protocols for novel use cases, etc.
- Keep detailed experimental records and documentation (SOPs) for all workflows
- Synthesize ideas, data, and findings into fully open-access pubs and engage with the scientific community to maximize impact and garner feedback that improves the work
Background and Experience:
- Ph.D. in science/engineering and 2-4 years of biotech industry experience
- Alternatively, B.S./M.S. in science/engineering and >6 years of biotech industry experience
- Hands-on technical experience in any of the following areas: molecular biology, high-throughput screening, NGS, cell culture, drug discovery, functional genomics, working with non-model organisms
- Hands-on experience using and developing assays on liquid handling robots (Opentrons, Hamilton, Tecan, etc) required.
- Programming experience (Python/R) for data analysis required
- Effective project management ability demonstrated by ability to scope work with key stakeholders, create milestones and timelines, identify blockers
- Experience working in a fast-paced, dynamic setting, preferably in start-ups
- Can quickly come up to speed on projects spanning a broad range of biology and new cell lines/organisms
- An excellent verbal and written science communicator for both general and technical audiences. We expect all scientists to actively draft and openly publish their lessons
- Can provide constructive feedback and facilitate decisive go/no-go discussions
- Experience working with cross-functional teams with different working styles and types of expertise.Experience using project management software (Airtable, Monday, Asana, Notion) is a strong plus
Interested applicants should apply using the link below and include a CV, brief cover letter, and answer the required supplemental questions.
The expected salary range is $150,000-$200,000 per year with generous equity and benefits, depending on experience level. The position will require the individual to be on-site at our Berkeley, California headquarters. We will review applications on a rolling basis, and the job will remain open until the position is filled.
Arcadia Science is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities. We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work. Please note that an offer of employment from Arcadia is contingent upon the successful clearance of a reference and background check.