Peer Engagement Coordinator, Publishing
Berkeley, California /
Active Search /
A Bit About Us:
We are Arcadia Science. Arcadia is a for-profit biology research and development company founded and led by scientists. Our mission is to give a community of researchers the freedom and tools to be adventurous, to discover, and to make scientific exploration financially self-sustaining in the life sciences. We are inspired by the spirit of exploration and aspire to evolve how science is done, who it attracts and rewards, and what it can achieve.
We are seeking an exceptional community builder who will help us develop Arcadia into a science and innovation hub that extends beyond its physical geography to engage with scientists throughout the full range of the research cycle. Good science doesn’t happen in a vacuum — we believe that by sharing our work early, engaging in dialogue with a broad range of scientists, and iterating on our published products, we can collaboratively improve the quality of our research.
We’ve already started this open science experiment and shared a slew of “pubs” on our research. Now we need someone to lead engagement with the broader scientific community through 1) strategic planning, 2) rigorous execution, and 3) assessment, adjustment, and iteration. Because we are not relying on journals and traditional peer review, the eventual hire will need to be exceptionally creative in rethinking the role of external feedback and reuse, and how to both garner and document them.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter with full-time research experience in biology or a related field, experienced in event organization and community management, and comfortable working independently and managing multiple projects. We’re looking for someone strategic, organized, and self-motivated who will lead the charge in making connections for Arcadia and inject creativity into everything they do.
The Peer Engagement Coordinator Will Be Responsible For:
- Establishing initial and longer-term goals for engagement with our research, and then developing an overall strategy for this aspect of our publishing effort.
- Contributing creative solutions and original ideas to gather feedback and encourage reuse.
- Laying out key metrics of success and milestones.
- Spreading the word about our research, gathering feedback, and encouraging reuse.
- Engaging with scientists across many disciplines, career stages, and organizations to learn about their needs, discuss Arcadia, and determine any synergies.
- Planning and running events or other interactions, possibly including symposia, seminars, virtual events, booths at large conferences, etc.
- Keeping track of all interactions between Arcadia and outside researchers or groups and making connections between key players internally and externally.
- Routinely tracking progress on key metrics and reporting.
- Reviewing quantitative and qualitative data for each engagement effort, and designing subsequent activities in an informed way.
- Staying on top of shifting trends in collaborative science, continually reassessing strategy and progress, and pivoting as needed.
- Guiding our scientists through the process of improving their work once it’s initially been released and determining when it’s “complete.”
Successful applicants can expect to be compensated between $90,000–120,000/year with benefits and a highly competitive equity offering, depending on experience level. The Peer Engagement Coordinator is part of the publishing team and reports to the Lead Editor. The position will require the individual to be on-site at our Berkeley, California headquarters.
Interested applicants should send a resume and a one-page cover letter that answers the following:
(1) What makes you a great fit for this position?
(2) We won’t have a static “stamp of approval” from reviewers or a journal — how might we improve our work and what are some other metrics that we might use to validate that our outputs are scientifically sound and useful?
Arcadia Science is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities. We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work.