Data Visualization Designer, Publishing
Berkeley, California /
Active Search /
Part time OR Full time
A Bit About Us:
We are Arcadia Science. Arcadia is a science company founded and led by scientists. Our mission is to transform evolutionary innovations into real-world solutions by openly developing more efficient, replicable, and sustainable ways to leverage the biology of diverse organisms.
Publishing at Arcadia:
We’re experimenting with new ways of sharing science, hoping to maximize speed, utility, and rigor in publishing. We share research in the form of modular “pubs” on our own platform (powered by PubPub), without journals. The Publishing Team supports our scientists in adopting and pushing the boundaries of this new approach. Now that we’ve established a robust internal process for this, we’ve identified key ways to improve and we’re expanding the team.
We need someone who can decide the best way to share large, complicated data sets and has the technical chops to do it. Static images and text can only go so far in expressing multi-layered, sophisticated data. We’re hunting for a Data Visualization Designer who can work with our scientists to understand their data, drill down on what’s important, and shape it all into a form that others can easily interact with to get the info they want.
The ideal candidate will apply their modern, graceful design sense to plan and generate both static and interactive figures. You should bring experience working with a wide range of data types, preferably some related to the life sciences. With information design know-how and creativity, you will make our data as useful as possible.
- Deciding how best to visualize complex data based on discussions with scientists and the Publishing Team.
- Creating static figures based on large underlying data sets.
- Developing custom interactive visualizations (we’re experimenting with Plotly right now but would love more control and elegance).
- Maintaining a consistent house style across all outputs and establishing standards for new visualization types.
- When possible, developing templates, sharing code, and building documentation so that our scientists can learn to make visualizations, especially interactives, on their own.
- 3+ years of experience creating interactives and/or visualizing rich data sets.
- Data science training and/or domain expertise preferred.
- Experience working with biological data is strongly preferred, especially using biological visualization tooling within the React/JS system.
- Experience working directly with scientists is preferred. Experience working with people who have a wide range of expertise.
- Experience leading data visualization projects with multiple stakeholders, from start to finish.
- Experience in front-end web design and development is a plus.
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, and personal website link and/or design portfolio. Note that we’ve also posted a listing for a Science Illustrator. Please read that posting carefully to make sure you find the right fit. If you feel that you really have the skill set for both positions, please apply to one but make a note in your cover letter that you’d like to be considered for either.
The expected salary range is $115,000–$150,000 per year with generous equity and benefits, depending on experience level. The Data Visualization Designer is part of the Publishing team and reports to the Director of Publishing. The position will require the individual to be on-site at our Berkeley, California headquarters.
Arcadia Science is an equal opportunity workplace; we welcome people from all backgrounds and communities. We provide competitive compensation and practical benefits to keep you happy and healthy so that you can do your best work. Please note that an offer of employment from Arcadia is contingent upon the successful clearance of a reference and background check.