Vice President, Merchandise Management
North Vancouver, BC, Canada /
Head Office – Retail Merchandising /
As the VP, Merchandise Management, you will lead the merchandising management teams and drive the creation, development and execution of a global line plan that grows the brand through our design vision while delivering best in class sales, inventory and margin results. You are an inspiring leader that drives and communicates a compelling, consumer-centric product framework plan that is realized through product operations and merchandising execution and flowing into planning and allocations. Your global merchandising strategy establishes Arc’teryx as a world class retailer and guides the representation of our product experience through all channels.
Key responsibilities and accountabilities:
- You develop, lead, and coach teams of high performing merchandisers to create and implement a compelling and innovative world class product merchandising strategy across all business units within the organization.
- You demonstrate impeccable taste and are passionate about sustainability, being outside, and the collective power of humanity.
- You ensure the team is aligned on strategy and process to send stores the correct product at the right time.
- You use key KPIs to ensure a deep understanding of our Direct To Consumer (DTC) business and lead the teams to action accordingly.
- You support teams to create channel specific inventory strategies that support the unique differences of the channel related to growth, consumer behaviors, and pricing.
- You ensure the DTC merchandise plans, inventory, and allocation strategies service our fast-growing global footprint.
- You are accountable for the successful execution of a line plan of all Arc’teryx product categories that deliver on our brand vision in addition to sales, gross margin and inventory productivity goals across all countries and business channels.
- You lead product and merchandising teams to create differentiated product strategies by channel, region and format at scale to achieve revenue and product margin goals through product range, life cycle management and pricing.
- You work in close partnership with many teams including Creative, Finance, ECOM and Supply & Demand Planning teams to realize the strategy and plan.
- You collaborate closely with international buying teams to ensure that regional needs are incorporated into the global line plan.
- Your global product framework and assortment structure guides merchant execution within retail, wholesale key account and digital channels to maximize sales, profit and global brand positioning. Your strategies are informed by rigorous data-analysis.
- You are responsible for the product lifecycle and go to market process of all product categories through effective teamwork and partnership with all product and supply chain teams.
- Your merchandising strategy ensures the Design vision is delivered to our customers by providing guidance to all functional teams outside of Product including Marketing, Digital, Retail and Commercial teams.
- You own and disseminate global go-to-market product knowledge, providing global commercial teams and partners with sell-in tools and product information consistently across all channels.
- You conduct global research and inform the Design team (at key internal milestones) with strategic insights and identify additional product assortment or business growth opportunities.
Additional experience, education and/or skills required:
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree and 12+ years of merchandising experience in a global vertical retail environment
- You have a proven track record in developing and leading the execution of a multi-year business strategy
- You have a strong understanding of outdoor retail marketplace
- You have strong business acumen with the ability to lead in a complex matrix business environment
- You have proven people leadership skills and the ability to build, coach and guide a diverse and high performing team
- You have strong influential leadership, with the ability to drive alignment across diverse cross-functional stakeholders at all levels of the business
- You set a clear vision, align your team around common objectives, and foster commitment to these objectives
- You are proactive in identifying the root cause of issues and developing solutions
- You remain highly flexible and adaptable when faced with ambiguity
- You effectively balance autonomy and collaboration
- You inspire breakthrough thinking and continuous improvement
- You seek the best (sometimes not the easiest) solutions, with an unwavering commitment to do what is right
- Your passion for your work is paralleled by your passion for getting outside and living it