K-8 Special Education Teachers (2019-2020)
ARISE Academy, New Orleans, LA
ARISE Academy is a K-8 charter school located in the 9th Ward of New Orleans that proudly serves over 500 students, the majority of which come from the surrounding area. College and career readiness is at the core of our mission: “Passionately raising each student’s academic, physical, and social levels to be successful in high school, college and the world beyond.” Our hope is that through rigorous academics, a caring environment, and community partnerships, our students will have what they need to achieve at their fullest potential.
Reports to: Director of Special Education
- Instruct special education students on modified Common Core aligned lessons that are objective driven, engaging, and include strategies that meet the needs of the individual students
- Maintain accurate and complete special education student records, and prepare reports on children and activities
- Confer with stakeholders to develop individual educational plans designed to promote students’ educational, physical, and social development
- Establish rules and procedures in classroom and small-group settings to maintain order
- Work as a part of a grade-level and academy-level team to support team systems and procedures
- Demonstrate ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in the school environment and community
- Maintain a safe working environment in the performance of all school-related duties.
- Accept feedback and coaching as an essential part of development and growth
Students, Families and Staff
- Works hard every day to deliver on the promise of an outstanding education for all students
- Cares about others and treats others with respect
- Communicates proactively with team members
- Puts in effort outside of the classroom to build relationships with students and families
- Regularly communicates with parents through phone calls, emails, and notes
- Participates in school committees throughout the academic year
- Deeply understands the grade level standards for the grade/subject
- Differentiates instruction based on student needs
- Modifies long term plans and unit plans as needed
- Submits weekly lesson plans for feedback and revises once feedback is given
- Designs rigorous daily, weekly and unit assessments
- Has a clear system for tracking student data
- Reteaches content based on data trends as necessary
- Sets and monitors progress on academic goals with students and families
- Approaches instruction with a sense of urgency: Every minute counts!
- Organizes and leads field trips
- Views feedback as a welcome opportunity to improve and practice
- Constantly reflects on successes and areas for growth
- Actively participates in summer intensive professional development, and ongoing professional development throughout the school year
- Actively participates in weekly observations and coaching sessions
Personal Organization & Responsibility
- Assumes responsibility for student achievement
- Maintains accurate records of attendance, homework, and grades using computerized data systems
- Meets professional responsibilities through efficient work habits
- Participates in the daily functions of the school including morning duty, lunch, recess and dismissal
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Master's degree or Teacher Certification
- At least 2 years of lead teaching experience
- Strong content knowledge of Louisiana Grade Level Expectations
- Capable of working with challenging behaviors
- Experience with special education instruction and students with special needs
- Strong knowledge of behavior management skills and techniques for special education instruction
- Desire to assist students with special needs
- Patience and skills to support children on the caseload
- Emotional maturity and stability necessary for the specialized work involved
- Willingness to grow, receptive to feedback
- Strong drive, work ethic, and organizational skills
- Flexibility, a team player attitude, and ready to tackle to new or challenging situations
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- A competitive benefits package is also offered, including the opportunity to participate in health insurance, dental insurance, & 403(b) retirement matching.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.