School Psychologist @ ARISE Academy (2019-2020)
ARISE Academy, New Orleans, LA
ARISE Schools is a New Orleans based network of high performing schools which includes ARISE Academy, founded in 2008 located in the Upper Ninth Ward, and Mildred Osborne Charter School, founded in 2013 located in the Kenilworth area. ARISE Schools currently serve over 900 students in Kindergarten to 8th grade. ARISE Schools is seeking passionate and innovative teachers, associate teachers, and support staff to join our team as we work to fulfill our mission of closing the achievement gap for our scholars.
The school psychologist will serve on the Student Support Team. The position’s primary responsibility is to coordinate and conduct comprehensive psycho-educational evaluations. Other responsibilities include serving as SBLC chair-person, and advise program development for academic and behavioral interventions.
- Serves as a member of the interdisciplinary team charged with making decisions about placement, intervention plans, and programming to meet the special needs of children
- Conduct assessments to identify student problems through psycho-educational evaluations and make interpretations and recommendations to school personnel and families to best meet the student’s academic, social, and emotional needs
- Re-evaluate special education students to update information and to recommend adjustments in their educational programs
- Provide input to and serve as a member of the IEP committee when appropriate
- Serves as a resource to teachers and staff regarding psychological services and the academic/psychological needs of students
- Consultation and Training: provides consultation to parents, teachers, other school personnel, and community agencies to enhance the learning and adjustment of students
- Support in program development - assist in planning, development, and evaluation of pre-referral intervention programs to meet identified learning and adjustment needs
- Serve as consultant for principals, teachers, and other members of the school staff and parents/guardians in regard to relevant laws and policies that govern practice
Students, Families, and Staff
- Works hard every day to deliver on the promise of an outstanding education for all students
- Cares about others and treats others with respect
- Communicates proactively with team members
- Puts in effort outside of the classroom to build relationships with students and families
- Regularly communicates with parents through phone calls, emails and notes
- Participates in school committees throughout the academic year
- Views feedback as a welcome opportunity to improve and practice
- Constantly reflects on successes and areas for growth
- Actively participates in ongoing professional development throughout the school year
- Actively participates in weekly observations and coaching sessions
Personal Organization and Responsibilities
- Maintains accurate and compliant records, meeting all confidentiality requirements
- Meets professional responsibilities through efficient work habits
- Participates in the daily functions of the school including morning duty, lunch, recess and dismissal
- Licensed School Psychologist in the State of Louisiana
- Comprehensive knowledge of all applicable laws, policies, and regulations
- School-based experience preferred
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- A competitive benefits package is also offered, including the opportunity to participate in health insurance, dental insurance, & 403(b) retirement matching.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.