Director of Science & Social Studies (2019-2020)
ARISE Academy, New Orleans, LA
ARISE Academy is a K-8 charter school located in the 9th Ward of New Orleans that proudly serves over 500 students, the majority of which come from the surrounding area. College and career readiness is at the core of our mission: “Passionately raising each student’s academic, physical, and social levels to be successful in high school, college and the world beyond.” Our hope is that through rigorous academics, a caring environment, and community partnerships, our students will have what they need to achieve at their fullest potential.
Observation, Feedback and Teacher Development
- Serve as a Science and Social Studies specialist to assist in the development and implementation of curriculum and instruction aligned to state standards
- Facilitate professional development focused on improving alignment and delivery of the written, taught and tested curriculum to increase student success and close performance gaps
- Provide development for teachers through observation and feedback, modeling, and targeted development in order to improve practice
- Review and develop aligned curriculum components including assessments for both Science and Social Studies
- Improve the quality of classroom instruction through targeted coaching and intellectual prep
Data Driven Instruction
- Work with Science and Social Studies teachers to analyze student data, diagnose instructional needs and identify research-based instructional strategies to close achievement gaps
- Collect, analyze and respond to data on a classroom and school level
- Work across all departments of the school as a School Leader
- Serve on the Leadership team and Academic Leadership Team
- At least five (4) years of science and/or Social Studies teaching/coaching experience
- Proven, demonstrated achievement science
- Proven, demonstrated achievement in coaching teachers
- Knowledge of 2011 Louisiana Science Standards and the Louisiana Social Studies Standards
- Advanced communication and professional skills, and a willingness to learn school programs
- This position requires someone who is flexible, a team player, and easily adapts to new/challenging situations.
- Louisiana Teacher Certification
- Bachelor's Degree (Required)
- Master's (Preferred)
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- A competitive benefits package is also offered, including the opportunity to participate in health insurance, dental insurance, & 403(b) retirement matching.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.