Special Education Paraprofessional
New Orleans, LA
ARISE Schools is a New Orleans-based network of high performing schools which includes ARISE Academy, founded in 2008 and located in the Upper 9th Ward, and Mildred Osborne Charter School, founded in 2013 and located in the Kenilworth area. ARISE Schools currently serves over 1,000 students in Kindergarten to 8th grade. ARISE Schools is seeking passionate and innovative leaders to join our team as we work to fulfill our mission of closing the achievement gap for our scholars.
- To assist, support, and work closely with teachers, administrators, and other team members in providing educational benefit for students.
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials and skills
- Assists the special education staff in devising special strategies for reinforcing learning materials and skills based on a sympathetic understanding of their needs, interests, and abilities.
- Confers and plans with teachers related to IEP objectives and/or modifications, and provides documentation of implementation.
- Performs clerical, classroom maintenance, and instructional duties as assigned by the special education teacher.
- Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods, and on field trips
- Assists students with physical needs (toileting, eating, dressing, etc.)
- Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in the school environment and community.
- Participates in in-service training programs as approved
- Supports Special Education team with maintaining and preparing the classroom environment
- Maintains a safe working environment in the performance of all school-related duties.
- Effectively collects and maintains evidence of meeting job standards
Scholars, Families, & Staff
- Works hard every day to deliver on the promise of an outstanding education for all students
- Cares about others and treats others with respect
- Communicates proactively with team members
- Puts in effort outside of the classroom to build relationships with students and families
- Regularly communicates with parents through phone calls, emails and notes
- Participates in school committees throughout the academic year
- Views feedback as a welcome opportunity to improve and practice
- Constantly reflects on successes and areas for growth
- Actively participates in ongoing professional development throughout the school year
- Actively participates in weekly observations and coaching sessions
Personal Organization & Responsibilities
- Assumes responsibility for student achievement
- Maintains accurate records of attendance, homework, and grades using computerized data systems
- Meets professional responsibilities through efficient work habits
- Participates in the daily functions of the school including morning duty, lunch, recess and dismissal
- High School Diploma
- At least 2 years of para experience
- Capable of working with challenging behaviors
- Willingness to grow, receptive to feedback
- Strong drive, work ethic, and organizational skills
- Flexibility, a team player attitude, and ready to tackle to new or challenging situations
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
- Competitive salary based on experience.
- A competitive benefits package is also offered, including the opportunity to participate in health insurance, dental insurance, & 403(b) retirement matching.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.