Principal @ Mildred Osborne Charter School (2019-20)
Mildred Osborne Charter School, New Orleans, LA
Mildred Osborne is a K-8 charter school located in New Orleans East that proudly serves over 500 students. College and career readiness is at the core of our mission which to “empower scholars through a rigorous and holistic academic experience to succeed in high school, excel in college, and make an impact on their community and world.” Our hope is that through rigorous academics, a caring environment, and community partnerships, our students will have what they need to achieve at their fullest potential.
Reports to: Executive Director of the School
Manages: Academic Staff
- Create an environment where team members are trusted, trained, and coached in order to lead with the mission and implement the vision
- Partner with the Executive Director to lead the Academic Leadership Team
- Set goals and define priorities to meet student needs
Data Driven Instruction
- Target instruction that immediately, and over time, responds to student needs through the use of assessment results and progress monitoring
Planning and Prep
- Ensure there is a plan for rigorous instruction in each classroom and all content areas
Student & Staff Culture
- Create and maintain a professional environment grounded in our values, that fosters adult excellence to increase student achievement
- Create an environment that demands student excellence and academic achievement for all students
- Recruit and hire team members
- Manage staff member performance
- Develop staff members through targeted support for growth that leads to student achievement
Families and Community
- Works with parents/guardians as active partners in their children’s education through creating an inviting environment, effective communication practices, and providing a variety of opportunities for parents to support the school
Education & Experience
- Demonstrated record of success raising test scores in an open-admissions urban school
- At least five years experience as a teacher in an open-admissions urban school
- At least two years of leadership in an open-admissions, urban school, with experience in developing teachers
- Record of success in leading adults; experience with management and supervision
- Knowledgeable about Common Core Standards and aligned instruction
- Be proficient in using data in the decision-making process
- Preferred, but not required: MA, MBA or Med
- Leadership development or principal preparation program, preferred, but not required: New Leaders, Relay, Leading Educators, etc.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to sit, walk, stand, talk, and hear.
- Light lifting of equipment may be required (up to 20 lbs.)
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. ARISE Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package with a generous 403b plan.
Arise Schools provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, amnesty, or status as a covered veteran in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.