Boston, MA /
Ark Biotech is powering the most important infrastructure buildout of this generation to transform how people consume protein. Ark is a B2B company engineering and designing next-generation production systems for the cultivated meat industry. We are a venture-backed startup driven by a desire to create a better food system for the planet and its inhabitants. At Ark, you will have the opportunity to solve difficult problems that matter and apply cutting-edge engineering and science in an environment that rewards creativity and visionary approaches.
About the role
Ark is seeking a mechanical engineer with 2+ years of pressure vessel, preferably bioreactor, experience.
The role of Mechanical Engineer is a great opportunity for an entrepreneurial, self-motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced, creative environment. The position entails working with a multidisciplinary team as part of a new product development cycle, which includes developing concepts and taking them from initial design and prototyping through commercialization.
In this role, you will be responsible for supporting the engineering activities as a product is transformed from customer requirements to engineered solutions. This will require work in the areas of fluid dynamics, prototyping, sterilization techniques, Computer-Aided Design (CAD).
As a Mechanical Engineer, you will be expected to deliver product development, product changes, and design documentation consistent with the needs of customer requirements.
- Full-time, exempt
- Greater Boston area
- Benefits include health, dental, and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, 401k matching, stock options, and opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Design novel bioreactor production systems (e.g., vessel design, agitation systems, sparger) for large scale production of cultivated meat (cell growth, tissue formation) using SolidWorks, in collaboration with fellow engineers. Generate P&ID, PFD, and GA output based on internally-developed designs
- Participate in the translation of user and functional requirements to design specification, concepts and directions
- Create / maintain piping arrangement drawings (Top assembly and Piping module) using P&ID and customer specifications consisting of however not limited to; 3D models, detail drawings, & bill of materials
- Conduct model design reviews with both internal resources as well as externally with customers and project managers
- Optimize bioreactor design by applying experimental techniques
- Collaborate with a diverse group of experts in the space, including process scientists, automation engineers, and end users
- Assist in the collection and documentation of user and functional requirements
- Adhere to the relevant safety and quality standards, for process efficiency, food safety and operational safety
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering or other relevant field
- 3+ years work experience in a relevant field
- 2+ years of experience in vessel or process equipment design a plus (cell culture process equipment beneficial)
- Experience in CAD design, PFD, GA, and P&ID development, and equipment sizing and specification
- Experience working with bioreactor vessel and skid fabricators and instrumentation / parts vendors
- Knowledge of safety and quality standards in food and/or pharmaceutical equipment beneficial
- Experience with designing or implementing aseptic systems and connections is desirable
- An appreciation for computational methods for bioreactor design and optimization
- Keen to work in a high paced and fast-growing work environment
- Willingness to take on non-traditional tasks, roles, responsibilities and challenges needed to accomplish company goals and objectives
Ark Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.