Boston, MA /
Automation & Software /
Ark Biotech is powering the most important infrastructure buildout of this generation to transform how people consume protein. Ark is a B2B company engineering and designing next-generation production systems for the cultivated meat industry. We are a venture-backed startup driven by a desire to create a better food system for the planet and its inhabitants. At Ark, you will have the opportunity to solve difficult problems that matter and apply cutting-edge engineering and science in an environment that rewards creativity and visionary approaches.
About the role
Ark is seeking an Automation Engineer to build out the world's first smart bioreactor, leveraging best-in-class industry 4.0 standards that seamless enables the biomanufacturing of the future. The ideal candidate will have industrial automation experience in a manufacturing environment. This position will contribute to the automation design and implementation which is at the core of the Ark bioreactor technology stack. The technology natively incorporates Industry 4.0 standards to deliver a new class of layered control system that is self-sufficient while also being tightly integrated with cloud based modeling solutions.
The Automation Engineer will develop and implement logic for assigned project tasks. Day-to-day responsibilities include writing automation code, integration of off-the-shelf components, and testing developed systems.
The position entails working with a multidisciplinary team as part of a new product development cycle, which includes developing concepts and taking them from initial design and prototyping through commercialization.
- Full-time, exempt
- Greater Boston area
- Benefits include health, dental, and vision coverage, flexible holiday and vacation time, 401k matching, stock options, and opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Play a key role in developing and implementing infrastructure for model-based control
- PLC/HMI/SCADA program development and testing
- Integrate off the shelf components into process control systems - probes, MFCs, pumps, valves, instrumentation into existing automation infrastructure
- Creation of technical documentation such as Functional and Software specifications to capture design, and qualification test documentation for system verification and validation.
- Configure I/O cards and program controllers to support ongoing cell culture experiments and bioreactor equipment characterization
- Contribute to building high performance web based vector graphics for process HMI control and trending
- Assist with equipment commissioning and qualification in the fabrication space and future facilities
- Take ownership of automation design and system integration within the rapid prototyping team
- Adhere to the relevant safety, documentation, and quality standards
- 3+ years of relevant work experience
- Able to read engineering design drawings including communication diagrams, logic diagrams, and network schematics
- Understanding of the PLC layer, Windows based systems, and Virtual Machine technology, and ability to apply these solutions in a manufacturing environment
- Proficiency in Industrial Networks Communication media and protocols (Ethernet, RS232/485, Ethernet IP, Modbus, and Profibus)
- Ability to configure, maintain, and support data centralized collection systems via high-level communication protocols (OPC-UA/DA, MQTT, Ignition, Kepware, etc.)
- Knowledge of ISA standards and practices for instrumentation
- Knowledge of ISA-88 code standards as commonly applied in the pharmaceutical industry
- Basic understanding of electrical circuits
Ark Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.