Boston, MA /
Process Science /
Ark Biotech is powering the most important infrastructure buildout of this generation to transform how people consume protein. Ark is a B2B company engineering and designing next-generation production systems for the cultivated meat industry. We are a venture-backed startup driven by a desire to create a better food system for the planet and its inhabitants. At Ark, you will have the opportunity to solve difficult problems that matter and apply cutting-edge engineering and science in an environment that rewards creativity and visionary approaches.
About the role
Ark is seeking a Research Associate with animal cell culture experience to join our Process Science team.
The role of Research Associate is a great opportunity for a reliable, self-motivated individual who thrives in a fast-paced, creative environment. In this role, you will work alongside the Cellular Agriculture Scientist and Process Science team to support cultivated meat cell culture maintenance and scale-up, in both static and small-scale dynamic culture as well as large-scale proprietary systems. This will require routine wet-lab work, experimental design, process development, troubleshooting, documentation and data analysis for cell expansion and differentiation. In addition, you will perform scaffold-based tissue engineering techniques and product characterization.
As a Research Associate, you will be expected to maintain a safe and productive lab environment while executing protocols related to cultivated meat production and bioreactor design. High quality data management, analysis and communication will also be vital to this role.
- Full-time, exempt
- Cambridge, MA
- Benefits include health, dental, and vision coverage, 401(k) contributions, flexible holiday and vacation time, stock options, and opportunity for career advancement as the company grows
- Maintain a safe, organized and productive lab environment
- Order, organize, document and maintain inventories of reagents, supplies and equipment
- Maintain an organized and accurate lab notebook and data documentation
- Install, run, calibrate, clean and maintain lab equipment
- Sterilizing equipment (e.g., autoclave, CIP/SIP)
- Formulate cell culture medium
- Perform aseptic transfer for media fill and inoculation
- Operate dynamic cell culture systems ranging from 250 mL to 1000+ L (e.g., shake flask, spinner flasks, benchtop bioreactors, wave reactors, novel systems) to enable cell expansion and tissue maturation
- Execute and manage standardized protocols
- Establish and drive good knowledge management practices for the Process Science team
- Adhere to the relevant safety, documentation, and quality standards
- BS/MS in biotechnology, chemical engineering, biochemical engineering, biomedical engineering, or other relevant fields
- 1+ years direct experience in animal cell culture and aseptic technique
- Familiarity with basic laboratory equipment and techniques
- Experience in evaluating cell culture health and productivity
- Highly reliable, detail-oriented and organized
- Skilled in experiment planning, execution, data analysis, and documentation
- Can work independently and also excel in a team environment
- Great verbal and written communication skills
- Keen to work in a high-paced and fast-growing work environment
- Willingness to take on non-traditional tasks, roles, responsibilities, and challenges needed to accomplish company goals and objectives
Ark Biotech is an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability status.