Sr Staff/Principal Spacecraft Operations Engineer
Palo Alto, California
Array Labs is building a distributed radar imaging constellation to power the first accurate, real-time 3D model of the world.
The Formation Flight Team is responsible for designing, testing, launching, and operating Array Labs' formation of LEO satellites. If you're a collaborative engineer eager to drive the future of distributed satellite technology, the role of Spacecraft Operations Engineer in Array Labs’ Formation Flight Team is the exciting challenge you've been looking for. In this role, you will be focused on the details of launching and operating our formation of small satellites.
Working closely with launch providers such as SpaceX and RocketLabs you will be responsible for ensuring that we launch our spacecraft successfully and communicate with them once they are deployed on orbit. You will leverage your cross-functional knowledge across spacecraft systems, control-theory, embedded software, and communication systems to ensure our satellites are flying in close formation. As a Spacecraft Operations Engineer, you will be responsible for successfully executing our spacecraft mission while contributing to advancing the state of formation flight technology.
- Provide support during mission preparations as the operations expert for Array Labs’ systems
- Design and conduct pre-launch V&V campaign for Array Labs satellites
- Coordinate operations with internal cross-functional teams as well as external stakeholders such as ground station operators and launch providers
- Model tasking scenarios for the Array Labs swarm
- Develop mission plans and operational procedures for Array Labs missions in coordination with other members of Array Labs' Formation Flight Team
- Performing trade studies on orbit positioning and maneuvers to maximize satellite coverage
- Execute targeted tasking with multiple space-based sensors post-launch
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or science discipline.
- 11+ years of experience in engineering test, integration, or flight operations (industry internships and project teams qualify)
- Real-time operations experience on a safety-critical system (e.g., high-performance automotive, robotic systems, etc.)
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Learns new concepts rapidly, completely, and in a self-directed manner
- High levels of self-motivation and personal accountability
- Effective project and time management, capable of handling numerous projects and tasks while meeting aggressive deadlines.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment under significant time constraints
- Proficiency in utilizing software tools such as Python, C++, Java, and/or Matlab
Preferred Skills and Experience:
- Master’s degree in an engineering or science discipline
- Technical knowledge of spacecraft systems and operations (e.g., communications, orbital mechanics, avionics, propulsion, thermal control, and life support systems)
- Advanced knowledge of orbital mechanics and spacecraft mission planning.
- Previous experience in an external supplier-facing role working through design requirements, test acceptance, and verification
- Previous experience working with interdisciplinary teams to solve complex problems
- Previous experience in one or more of the following fields: Avionics and Flight control software systems, Communication systems, or Orbit and attitude dynamics
- To conform to U.S. Government space technology export regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) you must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State.
Equal Opportunity Employer
- Array Labs is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made on the basis of merit, competence, and job qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by gender, color, race, ethnicity, national origin, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender identity, veteran status, disability status, marital status, mental or physical disability or any other legally protected status.
We will conduct three interviews via Zoom; the typical process takes around 2-4 weeks to complete from start to finish.
Hiring and Compensation Strategy
Our hiring and compensation strategy is simple:
1) find uncommonly good people
2) pay them uncommonly well
You can anticipate competitive pay, with high flexibility between salary and equity-based compensation.
Why you should join Array Labs
Array Labs is launching a constellation of satellites to create the first high-resolution, real-time, three-dimensional model of Earth. Our next-generation satellite technology will offer image quality 60x greater than traditional techniques, profoundly expanding humanity’s ability to understand and respond to events on a global scale.
In forging an affordable, accessible, accurate representation of Earth, our work has the potential to transform the face of dozens of fields, including autonomy, telecommunications, disaster relief, gaming, climate science, defense and construction.