Senior Director, Strategic Finance
Anywhere in US /
We are looking for a leader to shape and build the strategic finance function at Articulate as we rapidly grow our SaaS subscription business.
Reporting to the Sr. VP of Finance, the Senior Director of Strategic Finance will work closely with the leadership team as a financial partner, bringing together operational elements of sales, customer success, marketing, product, business intelligence, and strategic partner initiatives to drive Articulate’s financial planning and forecasting. You will provide executives with visibility into the company’s performance using insightful management reporting and analysis, including SaaS metrics.
This role will ensure the required resources and effective processes are in place to execute and meet deadlines. You should be self-motivated, inquisitive, critical of data, and able to collaborate in a remote team environment.
What you'll do:
- Build the financial forecasting structure needed to scale and mature Articulate’s growth, combining analytics and strategic thinking to develop the company’s financial business modeling
- Manage the FP&A employee and function, scaling to an 18-month rolling forecast built on key business drivers and performance metrics to drive critical decision-making
- Partner with the finance, sales operations, and business intelligence teams to ensure revenue data from disparate systems aligns with the financial and tax projections
- Deliver monthly financial reviews, providing critical insights to senior leadership
- Partner with customer success, business intelligence, and finance on subscription churn and net retention, scaling towards a predictive model that supports forecasting
- Develop product line profitability analysis to assess revenue growth, sales efficiency, the cost to acquire a customer (CAC), gross margin, and efficient use of capital
- Work with the business intelligence team and our data warehouse to develop and manage SaaS metrics methodology, balancing financial and sales (billings) view (ARR, MRR, LTV, CAC, ARPA)
- Assist in the yearly 409A valuation driven by five-year pro forma financials, discounted cash flows, and competitive landscape analysis
- Provide financial modeling support for new product and strategic partner investments
- Benchmark market size data into financial analysis to support long-term growth assumptions
- Optimize quantity and quality of financial reporting on an ongoing basis, always looking for opportunities for tool enhancement and automation
What you should have:
- Bachelor’s degree; MBA is a plus
- 10-15 years of experience in a related role, with SaaS/technology and enterprise/B2B experience
- A leader and an executor: you can successfully set strategy and influence peers while translating vision into actionable plans
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and get your hands dirty, balancing the big picture with hands-on execution
- Results-oriented, with strong organizational and planning skills; you prioritize and focus on the most important tasks to drive outcomes
- History of building positive relationships with people and teams across a broad, diverse organization
- Comfortable interacting with senior business leaders and leading strategic discussions
- Strategic thinker with experience using internal and external data to draw conclusions and make data-driven recommendations
- Flexible, with the ability to adapt to changing organizational needs and lead others through change
- Effective project management skills; highly organized, independent, and self-motivated
- Resilient and adaptable, and can thrive in a fast-paced environment
- A thoughtful, trustworthy doer who leads by example
- High EQ
- Positive, empathetic, driven, collaborative, flexible, and confident, with a learning mindset
Articulate is a highly successful, fully remote software company that’s changing the way the world learns. Our award-winning e-learning tools are used by 98,000+ organizations across the globe to create engaging online and mobile courses. Our customers include 93 of the Fortune 100 and 19 of the top 20 U.S. universities. And our online community of 865,000+ members is the largest, fastest-growing community in the industry.
We empower employees to thrive by fostering a culture of autonomy, productivity, and respect. We’re all free to exercise our crafts the best way we know how to reach our goals as individuals and teams. Each and every one of us is focused on producing results that directly impact the company’s success. And we all strive to do what’s right by people, both internally and externally, instead of taking the shortest route to the highest profits.
We honor people’s humanity in all of our disparate experiences and social locations, accepting each person as an individual with a story worth listening to and honoring. We believe that honoring everyone’s humanity means being committed to equity and justice. We welcome different voices and viewpoints and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, ancestry, physical and/or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender status, age, sexual orientation, and military or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law. We are an equal opportunity employer and invite applicants to voluntarily disclose their race and gender on our application form to help us create a diverse company. This voluntarily disclosed information will not be shared with any hiring manager and will be kept in confidence by the Articulate human resources department and executives who are not hiring for this position.