Head of Data Engineering
At ASAPP, we’re working to solve complex and challenging problems by building beautiful and useful machine learning powered products. We leverage artificial intelligence to address significant challenges that share three common characteristics: gigantic economic size, systemic inefficiency, and involve large amounts of data. Our talented teams that drive the innovation and development of our products are in New York City, San Francisco, and Buenos Aires.
The Data Engineering team at ASAPP designs, builds and maintains our mission-critical core data infrastructure and analytics platform. Accurate, easy-to-access, and secure data is critical to our natural language processing (NLP) customer interaction platform which interacts with tens of millions of end-users in real-time.
We’re looking to hire a Head of Data Engineering team who will oversee both the development of our data infrastructure and analytics systems and the talented individuals who make up the team. You’ll lead the way in ensuring there is close collaboration amongst other important areas like infrastructure engineering, machine learning engineering, data science, and business intelligence and constantly thinking about the ways our data and the learnings from it can help to improve the development of our products and business.
What You'll Do
- Manage a highly-talented team of data engineers and data engineering managers with a wide range of skills and experience
- The total team size you’ll over see will be 10+ people over 3 sites (San Francisco, New York, and Buenos Aires), including some of the most senior engineers in the company
- Set and implement a long-term vision for the Data Engineering team to increase its positive impact on the entire organization, especially on data usage, availability, security, and utility
- Develop and execute hiring plans for the Data Engineering team, determining missing experience and knowledge gaps
- Focus on your team’s career development and well-being in the workplace
- Work with internal stakeholders and clients to deliver excellent results for the company and our partners
- Be a valuable conduit of information between upper management and your team
- Set and track team OKRs, group priorities, and major deliverables for the team by working collaboratively with product managers and technical project managers
- Role model appropriate engineering processes and when possible recommend adjustments (e.g. adopting new or modifying existing processes to improve efficiency/productivity, ensuring succession planning for engineers, etc.)
- Provide architectural guidance, expertise to new projects/features, and/or participate in requirements clarification
- Promote ASAPP Data Engineering to the wider community by leveraging and growing your professional network
What You'll Need
- 3+ years track record of building and growing productive, world-class, high-performing engineering teams
- 5+ years of experience designing, implementing and optimizing data processing systems, and/or analytics systems
- Demonstrated ability to retain, mentor and hire senior engineers, managers, and junior engineers
- Experience with a variety of production systems and big data technologies (e.g. at least one of MySQL, Redshift, Spark, Scala, Storm, Kafka, RabbitMQ, AWS, Kubernetes, etc.)
- Prioritization, project estimation, and scheduling skills -- understand client and product priorities and strategically assign projects based on estimations and staffing availabilities and abilities
What We'd Like To See
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a field of science, technology, engineering or math, or equivalent hands-on experience
- Experience running teams with real-time and/or batch data solutions at scale, including instrumentation, event streams, data pipelines, analytics pipelines, A/B testing, and/or business intelligence reporting tools
- Past work in engineering operations, ideally from the perspective of maintaining, building, or scaling data systems
- Demonstrated history of ensuring high-quality data in terms of testing ETL, generating meaningful test data, anomaly detection strategies, and alerting
ASAPP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. If you have a disability and need assistance with our employment application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain assistance.