Data Engineer - Analytics
New York and San Francisco
At ASAPP, we’re working to solve complex and challenging problems by building beautiful and useful machine learning powered products. We leverage artificial intelligence to address significant challenges that share three common characteristics: gigantic economic size, systemic inefficiency, and involve large amounts of data. Our talented teams that drive the innovation and development of our products are in New York City, San Francisco, and Buenos Aires.
The Data Engineering team at ASAPP designs, builds, and maintains our mission-critical core data infrastructure and analytics platform. Accurate, easy-to-access, and secure data is s critical to our natural language processing (NLP) customer interaction platform which interacts with tens of millions of end-users in real-time.
We’re looking to hire a Data Engineer with a passion for analytics to create and enhance sophisticated metrics and reporting to help monitor and continuously improve our systems. You’ll also serve to bridge the gap between infrastructure engineering, data science, and business intelligence teams by building analytic data feeds for both our business partners and internal stakeholders, and we’ll lean on you to automate data collection, validation, and usage wherever and whenever possible. You’ll play a key role in influencing the direction of our data analytics platform and play an integral role in making the most out of the massive amounts of events we log and train machine learning models with every day.
What You'll Do
- Implement, manage, and scale data pipelines for analytics, reporting, and machine learning
- Collaborate with other engineering teams, product managers, and data analysts to understand needs and deliver deeper insights about existing data
- Create, optimize, and maintain efficient ETL jobs in Airflow
- Investigate metric discrepancies and data anomalies
- Manage schema changes across various engineering teams
- Work cross-functionally to gather requirements and understand reporting needs
- Maintain high-quality documentation for our metrics and data feeds
- Investigate, prototype, and test in-house solutions for A/B testing
What You'll Need
- 3+ years experience in a software or data engineering role
- Expertise in at least one flavor of SQL. We use Amazon Redshift and MySQL
- Proficiency in a high-level programming language, especially in terms of reading and comprehending other developers’ code and intentions. We use a mix of Python, Scala, and Go
- Deep technical knowledge of data exchange and serialization formats such as Protobuf, YAML, JSON, and XML
- Familiarity with workflow management systems such as Apache Airflow or Oozie
What We'd Like To See
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a field of science, technology, engineering, or math or equivalent hands-on experience
- Previous experience managing the analytical feeds within a data infrastructure, data engineering, data science, or data analyst role
- Experience with A/B testing, anomaly detection, or time series analysis
ASAPP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. If you have a disability and need assistance with our employment application process, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to obtain assistance.