Customer Success Manager
ASAPP, an AI startup headquartered in downtown NYC, is seeking a Customer Success Manager to take point for ASAPP on large enterprise customers to ensure that ASAPP’s intelligent platform for customer engagement drives differentiated business value to the client.
The Customer Success Manager is responsible for both the retention and growth of one or more large enterprise clients within an industry vertical. The role is unlike traditional “account management” roles, where individuals managing clients are incentivized to upsell products and services that clients may not actually need. Owing to the fact that ASAPP’s revenues quarter to quarter are substantially intertwined with measurable business value delivered to clients (who are usually in the top-ten within their industry by revenue), conversations with key decision makers are less about how the company might benefit from a new product development that ASAPP will charge extra for, and more about how quickly the client can martial its own resources to keep pace with our product and the deployment’s impact potential.
Although we certainly build and ship software, ASAPP is not a typical software vendor. ASAPP is a strategic partner that pushes its clients to test the limits of technology, and we are the most capable player in the industry building an AI-Native platform for intelligent customer engagement. “AI” and the algorithms that fall under that umbrella require our clients’ data, users, and time. This means that we often find ourselves in the position of searching out useful integrations and data sets, of working with clients to define A/B tests against ourselves, and of navigating organizational complexity to identify the best possible interdepartmental collaborators for ASAPP—tasks that are usually left to a vendor’s internal champion rather than the vendor itself. CDOs, CTOs, CCOs, CFOs, CMOs, and CEOs advocate for ASAPP because there is recognition internally that “proof of concept” experiments have not yielded results; the traditional “bot builder” approaches to customer service have not succeeded in exciting customers nor in scaling automation, and innovative leaders within the firm are searching for a capable partner with a research and product team that can actually execute.
Traditional account executives who are used to managing dozens or more clients and diligently husbanding contracts toward renewal, with a lift-and-shift, formulaic product mentality and high-powered marketing machine bringing up the rear, need not apply. Given the nature of our work, we are at the intersection of varied initiatives with monikers “digital transformation,” “360-degree view of the customer,” or “automation and intelligence everywhere”: we form the face and voice of their customer engagement infrastructure. This means that our clients expect us to act in their best strategic interest, which sometimes means having tough conversations about clients not holding up their end of the deal, explaining why certain functional requirements make little business sense, or explaining why metrics that were once mission-critical are now obsolete.
The CSM is responsible for the client’s deployment roadmap with ASAPP and for consistently performing against the client’s (and ASAPP’s) measurable business objectives. This position is also responsible for mentoring, developing and leading a direct or indirect management team. The CSM is not alone: he or she works hand-in-hand with a Customer Success Insights team, a Deployment Management team, and Solution Architecture team to drive value for clients. The role reports directly to the Director of Customer Success Management.
What you'll do:
- Be accountable for retention and revenue growth on accounts
- Serve as the “primary point of contact” and customer liaison
- Develop and manage C-Level and executive relationships within enterprise customers
- Develop, manage and execute strategic account plans to optimize use, sale and deployment of ASAPP’s solutions
- Provide regular performance updates to communicate progress both internally and externally, and the opportunities and risks associated with each client/portfolio
- Coordinate with internal functional team members to ensure the delivery of continuous and effective service execution.
What you'll need:
- Excellent negotiation, communication and boardroom presentation skills
- Displays strong oral, written and interpersonal communication skills
- Team player with ability to collaborate and influence with cross-functional teams
- Consultative, strategic mindset with proven ability to “sell without being a seller”
- Proven track record in strategic relationship and engagement management
- Strong analytical, technical, operational and industry knowledge to provide value and relevance to key executives aligned with revenue and growth strategies
- Ability to synthesize and prioritize customer feedback, competitive and industry information in order to improve ASAPP’s product and service delivery
- Little to no ego
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field or equivalent work experience required
- 10+ years’ experience in enterprise client-facing roles, in either Consultative, Customer Success, Delivery, Sales, or Product areas
- 5+ years’ experience in building high-performance teams
- Demonstrated experience in a fast-paced environment and meeting customer time constraints
- Project management skills, and the ability to perform as a team player and leader
- Ability to resolve complex and diverse issues and perform tasks and management
- Demonstrated experience working independently with little to no daily supervision
- Ability to travel to clients at least 2 days out of each week
We'd love to see:
- SaaS or tech start-up experience
- Experience in customer service or operations
- Working technical knowledge of contact center software/design/functionality
- AI/ML/NLP technology delivery experience
- Quantitative analysis skills (e.g., financial modeling and manipulating data visualizations)
- Database skills like MySQL or Redshift
- Experience leading a remote team
- Brand-new office space in One World Trade Center, with a view of the entire city!
- Free lunch daily in the office
- Medical/Dental/Vision Coverage
- Fully Stocked Kitchen and Bar
- Wellness perks
ASAPP is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, age, or veteran status. If you have a disability and need assistance with our employment application process, please email us at email@example.com to obtain assistance.