Head of Platform & Infrastructure Engineering
New York and San Francisco
At ASAPP, we’re working to solve complex and challenging problems by building beautiful and useful machine learning powered products. We leverage artificial intelligence to address significant challenges that share three common characteristics: gigantic economic size, systemic inefficiency, and involve large amounts of data. Our talented teams that drive the innovation and development of our products are in New York City, San Francisco, and Buenos Aires.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, the Head of Platform & Infrastructure Engineering will work to develop, implement, and maintain a strategic plan for evolving our production environment and systems. Some of the key challenges will be to liaise with all levels of the company to ensure alignment around how we solidify the foundational pieces of our stack, hire engineering experts in infrastructure, site reliability, and QA along the way, and establish strong communication channels with the broader engineering organization. As ASAPP’s teams and products continue to scale, we’ll lean on this leader to manage our teams on a global level and set the path that’ll guide us through all facets of our growth.
As our Head of Platform & Infrastructure Engineering you'll:
- Maintain a deep mastery of ASAPP's technical environment, stack, enterprise, customers and outside integrations. You will need to leverage this knowledge to inform the design and architecture of our infrastructure and develop/promote components to ensure our products and services are robust, reliable and scalable.
- Set the strategy and long-term roadmap for the team. You will build and direct the team responsible for all major platform and infrastructure initiatives spanning: Quality: Both Shift-Left and Shift-Right Testing (testing in development as well as testing in production); SRE: building infrastructure that allows self-service development of new distributed and scalable systems; Foundational Services: building block components (Auth-N & Auth-Z, Messaging, etc) that we develop to allow for more efficient development
- Recruit and retain the talent on the team. You will be responsible for headcount planning of the team, hiring of the engineers and managing of the organizational structure. You will also champion a culture that advocates for diversity and inclusivity.
- Work closely with our product and engineering teams to ensure that the systems you manage gain seamless, fast and wide-spread adoption. You will need to anticipate how growth and changes to our product offering will affect our infrastructure and make decisions around our infrastructure that will continually support and enhance development.
You'll need to have:
- Led platform and infrastructure organizations through high-growth phases at startups or at companies operating at tremendous scale. You will have either direct experience leading teams to scale production systems or have deep knowledge on best practices around managing large-scale, performant systems and the teams that develop them.
- Strong technical knowledge of production systems that’ll help you weigh trade-offs and evaluate risks when designing for their future states. There are many ways to build systems but we’ll lean on you to determine the best path forward for our needs.
- An intuitive sense for building teams with an excellent track record of partnering with recruiting in order to do so. You should be excited to grow the team with new talent just as much as you are to develop our current team members to reach new levels.
- Experience with messaging systems, quality in production (Shift-Right testing), cloud concepts. Direct experience working with some of our technologies would be helpful in order to quickly come up to speed. At a minimum, you should have a working knowledge of the following technologies and methodologies to facilitate thoughtful discussion: AWS, Docker, Kubernetes, CircleCI, continuous integration/continuous deployment.