Head of Facilities
Boston, MA /
Our mission at Asimov is to advance humanity's ability to design living systems, enabling biotechnologies with outsized benefit to society. We're developing a mammalian synthetic biology platform––from cells to software––to enable the design and manufacture of next-generation therapeutics.
We’re searching for a Head of Facilities who will join our 4 person Operations team to help us level up lab and office operations at our brand new facility in the heart of Boston’s Fenway neighborhood. Building from a strong foundation, this role will help us manage our facilities and equipment budget, utilities, energy management systems, and safety/security systems in order to eliminate inspection and regulatory risks, and minimize disruptions to overall business operations. This is an opportunity to join a nimble, forward-thinking synthetic biology startup and help build the future of biological engineering.
About the role
- In collaboration with our Lab Ops team, you’ll own our strategic facilities plan, proactively addressing current operational challenges and planning ahead for future potential space constraints and/or expansion to different locations.
- You’ll establish procedures and programs to ensure safe, compliant, and reliable operations in our lab and office.
- Partnering with our Finance team, you’ll prepare a facilities budget, recommending ways we can manage costs appropriately and aligned with our business objectives.
- You’ll develop and manage a facilities maintenance plan with our base building management team.
- Representing Asimov, you’ll participate in regulatory audits and inspections.
- You’ll be the point of contact with our base building regarding repairs, building requests and regular maintenance.
- We’re working from a brand new space so we don’t expect a lot of ongoing construction projects but there are two you’ll own, including electrical upgrades in the lab and improved lighting in our office cafe.
- You have deep expertise when it comes to facilities management, including finance and quality engineering experience. We’re looking for someone who’s done this role before and has experience scaling facilities management for a growing biotech company.
- You communicate easily across teams and levels in person and in writing. You're able to connect the dots and proactively explain the “why” behind protocols, procedures and plans.
- Being detail-oriented isn’t just a sound bite for you, it’s part of your DNA. Keeping track of a bunch of moving parts is easy for you because you’re highly organized. You’re a self-starter who seeks clarity in order to prioritize work, and handles multiple projects at the same time without missing a beat.
- Project management is securely in your wheelhouse, and you easily loop in the right people and teams to push a project forward.
- You’re well versed in general maintenance methods, operating requirements and safety precautions related to facilities management. Regulations concerning pharmaceutical facilities, chemical labs, and chemicals handling are well known to you.
- You’re able to instruct and direct others on how to properly adhere to regulations impacting our work in the lab.
- “Customer-focused” is a phrase that resonates with you. You see how operational effectiveness impacts our employees on site and how that translates to meeting the needs of our customers.
- In past roles you’ve partnered closely with finance teams to develop, track, and update a budget on a monthly cadence (including facilities, CapEx, and OpEx). You also have awareness of general accounting principles and expense management.
We're fueled by a vision to transform biological engineering into a fully-fledged engineering discipline. Should you join our team, you will grow with a constantly evolving organization and push the frontiers of synthetic biology. Company culture is key to Asimov, and ours is a culture of recombination; we believe that our mission can only be achieved by bringing together a diverse team with a mixture of backgrounds and perspectives.