Senior Cell Culture Engineer
Boston, MA /
Synthetic Biology /
Our mission is to radically advance humankind's ability to design living systems. We're developing a mammalian synthetic biology platform to enable biotechnologies with outsized impact, with an initial focus on gene therapies, cell therapies, and protein therapeutics.
We are seeking a Senior Cell Culture Engineer who is excited about pushing the state-of-the-art for protein and viral vector production. You will be responsible for designing, executing, and optimizing mammalian cell culture processes using bench-top automated bioreactors, with the goal of developing scalable and robust processes for production of recombinant biologics, lentivirus, and AAV. By working closely with the Synthetic Biology team, you will play a key role in developing cutting-edge technology for advanced manufacturing of next-generation therapeutics. You will also interface with pilot scale and commercial production facilities to ensure effective technology transfer and regulatory filings. This role reports directly to the CEO and is a unique opportunity to work at a nimble, forward-thinking synthetic biology startup to help build the future of biological engineering.
As a Senior Cell Culture Engineer you will:
- Spearhead the roadmapping and development of mammalian bioreactor and upstream process infrastructure
- Design and execute bioreactor and shake flasks experiments to develop mammalian cell culture processes for production of next-generation therapeutic modalities
- Lead upstream process scale-up with commercial partners
- Be a technical resource within the Synthetic Biology team by mentoring junior peers and adjacent technical roles
- Collaborate with the Automation and Software teams to develop automated systems for coordinating bioreactor runs and integrating process data into our computational platform
- Communicate ideas, data, and strategy with other technical members, executives, and commercial partners
- Organize and document experiments and data in an electronic lab notebook
- 6+ years experience in upstream process development at a biopharma company or CDMO
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Chemical Engineering, Bioengineering, Biotechnology, or a related field. PhD is preferred but not required
- Experience scaling-up an upstream mammalian cell culture process from benchtop to pilot or production-scale manufacturing
- Deep mammalian cell culture expertise in CHO and viral vector production
- Experience working with shake flasks and small-scale automated bioreactors (e.g., AMBR15) in industry
- Knowledge of regulatory filing requirements
- Mastery of bioreactor operations including fed-batch and perfusion modes
- Experience with statistical tools/DOE for experimental design or process optimization
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
We're fueled by a vision to transform biological engineering into a fully-fledged engineering discipline. Should you join our team, you will grow with a constantly evolving organization and push the frontiers of synthetic biology. Culture is key to Asimov, and ours is a culture of recombination; we believe that our mission can only be achieved by bringing together a diverse team with a mixture of backgrounds and perspectives.