Engineering – Engineering /
Favor’s mission is ‘Anything Delivered’. Our engineers make high-touch logistics happen. The Favor technology platform is the engine behind the business enabling millions of Favors. Our technology efficiently manages the real-time assignment of Runners to Favors, facilitates communication between customers, Runners, and support, keeps thousands of customer and Runner mobile applications in sync, and more.
Do you seek to make an impact on hundreds of thousands of users? Do you want to work for a purpose and value driven company in a high growth environment? Our engineers create the tools and applications necessary to connect our customers, Runners, merchants, and Support teams. As an Engineering Manager at Favor, you will be responsible for a team of engineers building applications, services, and cloud infrastructure for our product portfolio across multiple platforms, including microservices, web, iOS, and Android. You will work closely with engineering and product leadership to instill a culture of quality and iterative development across all engineering disciplines and increase the quality, confidence, and reliability of everything we build.
At Favor, we are committed to building a world class team that shares a passion for modern, clean code and products that make a difference. We need engineers like you to help us achieve our mission of ‘Anything Delivered’!
What you'll do:
- Manage a team of individual contributors including responsibility for 1:1s, giving regular feedback, performance management and career development conversations.
- Understand the fundamentals of the business to ensure the technical roadmap aligns with the business opportunities.
- Facilitate goal-level creation for the broader function and works with other managers to support setting of team level goals.
- Identify and implement enhancements to standards, processes, and tools.
- Evaluate new technology solutions and partnerships to accelerate the engineering and product organization.
- Collaborate closely with product management and engineering as equal stakeholders in the product development process.
- Participate in architectural design and coordinate with other software engineering managers as needed for a consistent approach within the suite of applications.
- Consistently strive to improve collaboration and communications.
- Partner with leaders to identify and plan capabilities required to meet customer needs.
- Collaborate with product managers and stakeholders to determine priorities and impact.
- Empower teams to deliver their very best.
Skills you have:
- A related degree or comparable formal training, certification, or work experience.
- 6+ years of experience as an individual contributor in an engineering role.
- 2+ years of experience leading high performance engineering teams.
- Experience mentoring, motivating, and leading a team through successful software projects.
- Experience setting business expectations and scope as well as providing technology recommendations.
- Experience in both a high-growth startup and growing medium sized company is a plus.
- Track record of timely delivery of high-quality software.
- Excellent problem solving, issue identification and technical documentation skills.
- Ability to communicate with cross-functional teams about engineering topics such as system architecture, API design, product roadmaps, and resourcing.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to balance management and individual contributor responsibilities including ability to jump down to the IC level when needed to provide guidance on Code Reviews or Pull Requests.
- Experience or familiarity with one or more of the following technologies: PHP, Kotlin, Scala, Python, Java, Node.js, React, MySQL, Kafka, Docker, Kubernetes, Terraform, AWS, Elasticsearch, XCUITest, Selenium, JUnit, NUnit, Espresso.
Who you are:
- Have a passion for mentorship, guidance, and direct person to person interactions that create strong bonds among teams and individuals.
- Care deeply about people and helping them become their best selves.
- Appreciate simple design.
- Love to write clean, well-tested code - coding is not required in this role but there will be opportunities to get your hands dirty if desired.
- Like working with other engineers in a collaborative and iterative environment.
- Love to learn and teach equally well and possess a growth mindset.
- Communicate well with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Participate actively in the local development and open source communities.
- Experience working with public cloud providers and cloud native application development.
Life at Favor:
Benefits: We offer premium health, vision, dental, and life insurance, alongside 401(k) options. We go beyond the basics, while also throwing in Favor delivery fee credit and H-E-B discounts!
Paid time off (PTO): We offer unlimited PTO for salaried employees (that’s actually unlimited) and ample vacation time to all team members.
Learning and development: We encourage personal growth and education through Intern(al)ships and Learning Labs taught by Favor team members and external facilitators.
Community: Whether you’re an avid cyclist, dog lover, or Magic enthusiast, there’s a group for you here. We foster community through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), quarterly company-wide events, weekly happy hours, and regular connection opportunities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion: At Favor, we believe that to be the best delivery app in Texas, we need to represent all Texans. We are committed to growing a team with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives, and we are an equal opportunity employer.
Flexible work options:
Favor supports an in-person, hybrid, or fully-remote work environment (depending on the job role) from select states across the U.S.!
At this time, we are not able to support employment in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. If you are located in one of these states but are open to relocation, we welcome your application!