Staff DevOps Engineer
Engineering – Engineering /
Favor’s engineering team is growing and we are looking for a Sr. DevOps Engineer to drive our cloud, configuration management, build, deploy and monitoring platforms. Favor’s engineering team makes high-touch logistics happen in real time — we are responsible for the complex systems that make a Favor happen. This entails finding the perfect Runner, the communication between our customers and our runners, keeping thousands of mobile applications in sync, payments, and more.
As a Senior DevOps Engineer your job is to take our motto of Anything Delivered and apply it to our technology. Along with a team of other motivated engineers, your job will be to ensure world-class performance, efficiency, change management, monitoring, capacity planning and emergency response capabilities. Your goal ultimately is to engineer operationally efficient & performant solutions, increase system observability, minimize human interactions with production systems, accelerate customer value delivery, and evangelize those best practices to others.
You will work closely with engineering, quality, data, and product teams to help define how we build, test and ship our products. You must be a self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced, agile environment which means wearing many hats, being able to change direction quickly, and showing an eagerness to learn and introduce new technologies as the need arises. Most importantly we need a leader that can prioritize, multi-task, and deliver scalable solutions to enable Favor to achieve our mission of Anything Delivered.
- Contribute and architect the vision for DevOps at Favor, working with engineers to execute strategic initiatives to improve performance, throughput, and quality across the engineering organization.
- Create infrastructure-as-code that is scalable, performant, reliable, and secure.
- Implement and manage a containerized microservices infrastructure, delivering CI / CD for new applications on AWS.
- Maintain monitoring and alerting systems of Favor’s production services.
- Collaborate with developers to make sure new environments meet requirements and conform to best practices.
- Monitor performance of production systems; give recommendations for enhancing performance and assist in implementation.
- Improve the development pipeline from local development to production.
- Implement, maintain, and test a disaster recovery plan.
- Engage and nurture development teams to be capable of maintaining services once they are live by measuring and monitoring availability, latency and overall system health.
- Share an on-call rotation and be an escalation contact for service incidents.
- Deep understanding of version control systems (git), including branching and merging strategies.
- 8+ years experience working with microservices and Service-Oriented Architectures (SOA).
- 6+ years experience with Amazon Web Services.
- 6+ years experience in logging, metrics, monitoring & alerting, preferably with tools such as OpsGenie, CloudWatch, Grafana.
- Must be comfortable working in a Linux/Unix environment.
- At-scale experience with containers and container Orchestration platforms such Docker, Kubernetes.
- Experience with automation/configuration management (Terraform, CloudFormation).
- A detail-oriented, organized thought process and the ability to act decisively under stressful conditions.
- An understanding of system optimization issuesWork well with others to solve problemsA self-motivated work process and excellent communication skills.
The Ideal Candidate
- Understands lean and agile principles of software development and helps up-level the entire engineering team in these areasIs an expert at defining and evangelizing technical solutions and strategies.
- Is a force multiplier who can move an engineering team forward through direct contributions and influencing others.
- Enjoys working with other engineers in a collaborative and iterative environment.
- Has experience scaling systems and teams in a high-growth startup/medium size company.
- Communicates well with technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Is a true full stack engineer who can navigate and advise in all areas of the software lifecycle including: design, development, deployment, debugging, monitoring and support.
Life at Favor:
Benefits: We offer premium health, vision, dental, and life insurance, alongside 401(k) options. We go beyond the basics, while also throwing in Favor delivery fee credit and H-E-B discounts!
Paid time off (PTO): We offer unlimited PTO for salaried employees (that’s actually unlimited) and ample vacation time to all team members.
Learning and development: We encourage personal growth and education through Intern(al)ships and Learning Labs taught by Favor team members and external facilitators.
Community: Whether you’re an avid cyclist, dog lover, or Magic enthusiast, there’s a group for you here. We foster community through Employee Resource Groups (ERGs), quarterly company-wide events, weekly happy hours, and regular connection opportunities.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion: At Favor, we believe that to be the best delivery app in Texas, we need to represent all Texans. We are committed to growing a team with different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives, and we are an equal opportunity employer.
Flexible work options:
Favor supports an in-person, hybrid, or fully-remote work environment (depending on the job role) from select states across the U.S.!
At this time, we are not able to support employment in the following states: Arizona, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Illinois, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington. If you are located in one of these states but are open to relocation, we welcome your application!